• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shift lever socket parts

Jimboss77

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville
Started rebuilding my 77 A/T steering column and undoing all the jackleg crap the PO did when he pulled it for painting. My biggest problem was he put the spring/plunger assembly for the shift lever in so unbelievably wrong I can’t believe he got it back together and that it even shifted. There are 2 screws that hold the spring/plunger assembly in place. PO used what I believe to be at least 1 of the original screws and another that is obviously wrong and broken off in the housing requiring a new housing. The screw that appears original is .138 dia across the threads which is #6 and .330 long. #6 screws come 32 threads per inch but this one is much coarser than that and also appears to be slightly tapered. It is oem #41540-S (U-353). I’ve had no luck finding these so far. Does anyone have these screws or know where I can get them?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I don't have an answer, but will bump to the top for you in hopes someone else does.

Rbuddy98

Contributor
I had the same problem. I found all the parts I needed at the local pick n pull. I found them in a 1971 ford f100. I even used the shift collar from it.

OP
OP
Jimboss77

Jimboss77

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville
Thanks for the replies guys. Junk yards around don’t have many early model vehicles around...crush em and sell em. Finally figured out the screws were a one off type of self tap from back in the day. After getting the new shift collar I tapped the pre-drilled holes to a 6-32 and then cut down a couple of pan head screws to the correct length. Just put it all back together tonight and works great. This was one of those one off problems that probably will not be experienced by many folks except me and Rbuddy98 :) If anyone ever does have a similar issue I’ll be glad to provide details to help. I’m new to the site but have found a ton of useful info from all.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm glad you fixed it. I have a '77 auto column out of the truck and was going to pull it apart to see what screw would work.