• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shimming the body on the frame - typical, okay?

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I've done a lot of metal work to the tub - replaced floor pans, bed section, inner and outer rocker, etc. I've had the tub braced well the whole time - we all know how flimsy they are.

It appears, now that the body is sitting back down on the frame - on the body mounts I am running (1-inch body lift from WH) that the tub needs shimmed. I say this because the door openings appeared to be 'pulled out' or spread apart at the top - the top of the opening is wider than the bottom and when fitting the door this is apparent. Furthermore, it felt like when I sat the tub on the frame and started bolting it down I was pulling down the front and rear body mounts - sort of sucking them down as I got it tighter - which would spread the door opening a bit.

So, it seems I could shim (somehow) the front and rear body mount locations to try and get things as straight as possible - paying attention of course to body lines and such. Is that okay? Is that typical to have to do? It seems like it would be fine. I just want some reassurance.

By the way, I am running different doors and such so I can't comment on the condition before vs. after. It just 'is what it is' right now.

Thanks for any insight.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Shimming body mounts is pretty much the best and easiest way to correct body lines and door gaps. Make sure your front fenders are on and when you put the shims in make sure your doors are open.

For shims, I use the big body washers from the local hardware store, you can get them in 1/8" X3" or so, the last time I bought them I got a box of them for $10 or $15. Start with 2 and see where you need to go. It's best to have all of the body bolts loose or off, and shim the outer most mounts. I've shimmed under the drivers door too, but the back body mounts are the ones that usually need the most attention. After your happy with the door gaps, tighten everything down tight and see if anything moved.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Yes it is normal to shim body mounts to align doors and fenders. And just because one side needs 1/4" doesn't mean the other side will.

You shouldn't need to tighten any mounts down to see the progress from shimming. the tubs are plenty flexible just by jacking and adding shim then letting the weight of tub, fenders and doors set down on thier mounts. But things can change as you do tighten your mounts.