• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Silly question of the day - are driveline CV bolts anything special?

bsquared

Contributor
Title says it all. Had to pull the ZF for a rebuild and it went back in tonight. All went pretty good until I stripped one if the bolts going into the back CV on the driveline. Noticed my bolts have 1" of threads and I need 1.25" with the yokes on the NP205. Don't want crappy bolts at that location!

Question is.....anything special about these bolts? (heat treated, etc) Pretty sure I just used the stock ones (original D20) that I had after the swap and didn't notice the need for another .25" to work with the yokes on an NP205.

Source from the local parts store? Thanks for the feedback, B2

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I dont think they arre anything special. Not sure of the actual grade but Id think they are grade 8. You should be able to get grade 8 bolts about anywhere thats what I would use.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a quantity of them from McMaster-Carr in Grade 8, black oxide finish, with the 5/16" twelve-point heads. Those are so much easier to get a wrench on at teh CV yoke....although I make sure I carry a 12-point 5/16 closed end wrench in every rig because those are not commonly in anyone's wrench assortment.