• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Small parts black paint recommendation needed

Redbark

Contributor
I'm new to painting and I have some very basic paint questions.

I plan to paint all my small smarts this summer (brackets, pulleys, pedal assemblies, steering column, seat frames, etc) and will be using an inexpensive spray gun.

I know there are many options out there but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an easy to use black paint that will work for all these parts?

Should I use:
  • Base coat/clear coat or single stage urethane?
  • Epoxy primer?
  • Semi-gloss on all these parts?

OP
OP
R

Redbark

Contributor
Thanks. I've decided not to go the rattle can route. I'd like to try spraying with a gun.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Rustoleum makes a nice semi-gloss and a satin black. You can get them in rattle can or by the quart if you want to spray it. Lowes carries it, I think it is the Industrial Enamel line. I use it at work all the time on equipment and used it on a lot of small parts on my Bronco.

I have also done a lot of stuff in single stage urethane. I used Kirker brand from Autobodytoolmart.com. No complaints there either. Anything that was exterior and exposed to road grime I did in urethane, everything else got enamel.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Second vote for SEM trim black. You'll be surprised how well it turns out. Eastwood chassis black is good also.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
I used Eastwood Chassis black but regardless what you use it's worth the time to blast all your pieces first and then clean them well with a pre prep. I used the Eastwood Chasiss black primer first as well.

Joe473

I used Eastwood Chassis black but regardless what you use it's worth the time to blast all your pieces first and then clean them well with a pre prep. I used the Eastwood Chasiss black primer first as well.
Agree, cleaning and prep is the best to keep paint. I went with eastwood 2 part satin chassis black in the rattle can. After over 2 years all my black underhood parts still look good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
John Deere implement paint is pricey in both rattle can or quart but it is tough as nails and is low gloss. If you spray always use something two parts - catalyzed paints are a lot tougher and chemical resistant.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_203813659.jpg
    IMG_20180608_203813659.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 30

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. YES I too say don't pass the rattle can. It may be be much better than you expect.
Some times you get the opportunity to take the EASY ROAD.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm pretty much with Pa and the rattle can posse on this one. If you do decide to make it complicated, buy a small gun with a small cup, $50 +/-, much easier to clean.

Hotrodjohn

on my restore I used 5 Star Xtreme brand, Hot rod black color paint. Part number 8001. This is a direct to metal satin black requiring no primer and is very durable and chemical resistant. It does require the hassle of setting up with reducer and catalyst but worth the effort.