• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

So D*mn mad my blood is boiling - what should I do??!!

Miker

Bronco Guru
Breaks down like this:

My stereo unit goes on the fritz, replace the fuse and still nothing. I think, well, the unit is about 6 years old so why not just buy something similar and then have Bluetooth, Pandora, hands free calling etc. I whip in to Best Buy and the guy says he had a cancellation and could fit me right in. Great, I'll walk to Buffalo Wild Wings for a long lunch come back,, badda' bing, badda' boom.....

Well, at 6:00pm this evening he calls me back to the installation area and proceeds to tell me that he couldn't finish the install because I had something faulty in my ignition and the wires got cooked and started smoking. Hell, there was NOTHING wrong with my ignition before I rolled in to the damn place.

Manager says they will pay to fix whatever happened only if I get a mechanic to say that the ignition switch went bad due to something the installer did. Hell, it HAD TO BE SOMETHING HE DID!

ANY THOUGHTS HERE GUYS? I'M GONNA' DRINK WAY MORE THAN MY FAIR SHARE OF BROWN WATER TONIGHT!!

Sorry for the rant. But, not only did my stereo not get fixed they made my rig inoperable......

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I would have kicked the managers ass right in front of the punk that cooked my wiring.
Then just wait on the cops to show up.
Have my wife bail me out then freak them out by showing back up there first thing in the morning to heckle their installation crew to run off a few customers....

But that's just me....

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Little bit more info was this on the Bronco or a different rig have you looked at the ignition wire that got fried if so did they use one of those scotch tape things on the wire. Only things I can think of so far would be they ended up grounding out you ignition wire or had hooked up to the wrong wire.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I would have kicked the managers ass right in front of the punk that cooked my wiring.
Then just wait on the cops to show up.
Have my wife bail me out then freak them out by showing back up there first thing in the morning to heckle their installation crew to run off a few customers....

But that's just me....

I'm with you but than again I haven't had a stereo installed by anyone but me so it would have been one hell of an ass kicking.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'd explain that rather than consult a mechanic, it would be a lawyer that you go to. If the ignition was bad, how did you drive there? Also point out that any repair manual instructs mechanics to disconnect the battery before doing electrical work.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
I'd explain that rather than consult a mechanic, it would be a lawyer that you go to. If the ignition was bad, how did you drive there? Also point out that any repair manual instructs mechanics to disconnect the battery before doing electrical work.

Exactly! I asked the joker if he didn't think it was crazy odd that it was fine UNTIL it got brought in the bay and I was sent on my merry way to give them time to install. He actually did admit that it was unfortunate timing but refused to acknowledge it was his fault.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Mike,

Go back tomorrow and ask for the store manager. The only other advice I can give you is BE NICE! I worked in claims (6 to 7 figures) when I was in the fabric business and the nice people always got my attention. The screaming maniacs went to my boss who just plain ignored them. It did help that we were the only game in town for this product but my point is this, BE NICE, be firm but BE NICE. You won't win by yelling at anyone, they will throw you away as a customer if you get "belligerent".

I would be cautious about the other radio being on the fritz, as they are likely to point to that as the root of the issue, which means preexisting. Does not mean it was or was not the issue but that sounds like the tact they are taking. I would focus on the fact that it went in on its own power and left on a tow truck.

Good luck.

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
Never have Worst Buy install anything in your car or home. Most local shops cost about the same and typically have better trained staff. It's also much easier to push them around if shit does hit the fan.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
I would likely take bronconuts route, but the smart thing to do is follow fat boys advice.

clearly they did something stupid and should pay for the repair.

I have a local guy with a tiny one bay garage that does my stereo stuff when i don't feel like messing with it. He spent all day on my Nissan sedan fixing the previous owners sorry attempt to install a stereo for free.

ransil

Bronco Guru
is something cooked?

almost everything is fused or has a fusible link.

could he have left the key on and the ignition resistor wire in the bundle over heated?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Is it the original harness? I'm afraid of moving any wires under my dash. I agree with Fatboy,nice but firm.

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
A few things obvious to me. You need to speak to the store manager. Point out the facts like it was operable and whatever was wrong happened there. Power from the battery should have been disconnected before any installation began. The cost of repairing your vehicle will be much less without paying your lawyer fees, court cost, your time from work, etc. And lastly and most obvious, you don't want them to fix it.
If you have full coverage you can claim it, pay the deductible, and you're insurance co. will be glad to sue them for you.

Germd

A few things obvious to me. You need to speak to the store manager. Point out the facts like it was operable and whatever was wrong happened there. Power from the battery should have been disconnected before any installation began. The cost of repairing your vehicle will be much less without paying your lawyer fees, court cost, your time from work, etc. And lastly and most obvious, you don't want them to fix it.
If you have full coverage you can claim it, pay the deductible, and you're insurance co. will be glad to sue them for you.
Good advice right there. Put those insurance premiums to work & let the insurance company duke it out with them. I don't know about anyone else, but my time is too valuable to spend pitching a hissy fit in an electronics store.
Just my two cents.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Exactly what Mikee and Broncojac said.
Does your Bronco you have the factory/stock wiring harness ? - if so that was their first mistake - I never add anything to the old factory wiring; always ran a new fused wire directly to the battery or power block .Hmm - Of course they have to hook into a switched and constant power source to make most of the radios features operable - - sorry for the rambling - just thinking out loud -

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
My cuzz also pointed out that these old harnesses and fuses were made to handle little am radios for the most part. I have it back now on my trailer and have to take it to a mechanic who must inspect it and say definitely it was a result of something the installer did and that the mechanic must be very detailed as to what caused it. I sure as hell hope it doesn't get to "he said - she said"....

I think my deductible is a grand so thats not an option.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
This really sucks man.
Some due diligence is in order for sure - find a mechanic who'll find their error and put it back in their face. Honestly it should not be too hard to find the problem; as was said likely a direct short to ground caused this. It is possible that the fuse on the power supply to the stereo was too large and thus didn't blow before damage was done (been there, done that, got the tee-shirt).

Best Buy did a number on a friend's Land Rover many years ago - they deployed his airbags and damaged the power seat, among other things. He did win, they did fix it for him but it wasn't the easiest process. Hopefully this gets squared away for you shortly. I would be pissed too, but a calm head will get you through this. I am sorry this had to happen.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... SORRY BUD.. Hate this happened.. But if it went into the shop with no issues. Then I SAY you have it back. Get your tech on board . & your lawyer. plus time & vehicle service losses. Be nice. but firm.It came into your shop .. FINE & Dandy. Your man did something wrong.

thirdtime

Contributor
That one sucks Mike. Cuz told me about it yesterday. Did the wiring actually burn or will it just not start?

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really feel for you Mike. Hope they do the right thing here and not weasel their way out of paying for something they clearly are at fault on.