• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Someone please help with Duff 3 speed floor shifter!

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
I am haveing problems installing my Duff floor shifter. Does any of you guys have any pictures from inside the bronco looking into the side of the shifter. My brackets are not matching up. The top, and front are fine. The back bracket looks to fall short. All the bolts are loose. I think I may have to do more cutting on the floor boards. I just wanted to see someones first before I do it. Thats all.

Thanks

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Here is one

Attachments

• duffy 3 speed.jpg
    duffy 3 speed.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 269
OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
This one is a better shot. I pulled up and back on the top bracket as far as I could. I think the floor is stopping me from getting it where it should be. I just want to make sure everyone elses looks the same....

Attachments

• duffy 3 speed2.jpg
    duffy 3 speed2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
I cut more of the floor out and it still wont fit. WTF. I called Duff. They walked me through everything and it still don't fit. They had me take the washers out of the front bracket and top bracket. Still don't work. Whats going on.... I know I cant be the first with this problem. They said to keep the bolts loose. If they get any looser they will fall out.

Someone please help?:? ?:? ?:?

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Ok I got the brackets on....I didn't like what I had to do. I was told it was going to be a little tight. But I did not expect this. The curved bracket in the back that is attached to the t-case had to be installed last to get everything to fit. I bolted it onto the shifter and top bracket first. Then went under the bronco. Pulled, and bended this bracket and used the bolt as a wedge and tightened it down.%) It looks ok I guess. I would still like to see someone elses.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I recall mine being close, but not as tight as yours. A little grinder work on your rear braket where it was scraping the case would have made it all better. Not that you should have to on a new part made for your specific application.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I had similar issues with my Duff 4spd shifter, but not as bad. All the holes didn;t line up nice right from the get-go, and I was like WTF??? Right? So, i just loosened all the bolts, and was able to get it together by tightening the bolts little by little, pulling the whole assy together...
personally, I think it should have a better fit - like Duffs need to take better measurements or something... but what ya gonna do..

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Hurst needed to do better on the measuring. They just put Duffs name on it for them. My shifter has hurst stamped right on it. The only thing that says Duff is the nice chrome shifter. Today I will work on the linkage. Then I will put in the twin stick. Hope things go a little better today;D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If you've never used Hurst style shift rod clips, your day is not going to get better soon. I tossed them in favor of the hairpin/cotter pins. Hitchpins, they might be called.

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Ohh you are right in one aspect. My day just began. I just figured out that I bought the wrong year shifter for my rig. I have the shifter rods for a 68-72 I need a 75 JD wouldn't sell me just the rods. They said I needed to buy a rebuild kit that was like $140 to get them. So I am selling the New 3-speed for $200 to someone and I will buy the one I need. I am so upset that they wouldn't sell me just the rods. Who else makes a good shifter.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Duff's is a modified Hurst truck shifter, modified specificly to work in the Bronco. Husrt eventualy caught on and started modifying their own for the Bronco. The kits are very similar in function, and price. You should be able to order one from any decent parts store. Hmmm... you might save on shipping buying the Husrt localy. Make sure the Hurst kit is specific for your year of Bronco. A typical Parts Monkey would prolly order one for "F Series including Bronco" which would be wrong.

NEW IDEA: Hurst might sell just the rods, separate from their Bronco shifter kit.

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
WHHHOOOOHHHOOOOOOO;D ;D

I just got off the phone with Hurst. I will have the rods I need Friday or Monday. It was like $22 + shipping. I guess if you need something bad enough sometimes you have to cut out the middle man if they wont help you. Sorry "DUFF". Now my shifter is officially off the market for sale.

Skuzzlebutt, We both thought of Hurst at the same time. I tried to call but it was too late and the weekend and all. I called Summit. They said they could get them if they called Hurst, but it would have to be under normal hours for them. So I called hurst myself today.

Can't wait. I got my twin stick in already. Soon their will be 3 sicks in the floor.:eek:

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Something extra. Hurst p/n 248-0003 is the bracket & switch kit to allow you to hook up your reverse lights to your shifter. goes for about $30.

OP
OP
RKM

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
AAHHHH. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm sure I will be geting that sooner than later. Thanks for the help on that. I didn't even think of it. I'm sure I would have the noticed it the first time I needed them to work at night.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Jimmyjames said:
Or are they all about the same?
You need to get a Early Bronco specific shifter. The shifter mounts around the transfer case.

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
so where has everyone determined is the best place to purchase the hurst shifter package? also, i have the T-handle deal for the transfer case and i want to change that over to a hurst as well. where do you guys recomend i buy this stuff? i saw the parts on duff, but would prefer to go with hurst direct or summit etc. i only got a look at the bronco once before for a short time. i just started wrenching on it a little today and noticed the three speed on the column. this is unacceptable. granted it is a little down the line on priorities, but will have to be rectified.