• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

speaking of baja anyone ever hear of these guys?

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
That is a really cool story! Thanks for sharing. Maybe driving from WV to Baja isn't so bad after all!!

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Wow, thats an awesome story. Those are the kind of guys I respect out on a race track, not the rich know-it-all pr*cks that ususally race. What year did this happen?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
sfaforester said:
Wow, thats an awesome story. Those are the kind of guys I respect out on a race track, not the rich know-it-all pr*cks that ususally race. What year did this happen?

The date of the article is December '97 and I recall it was either '96 or '97. They got a lot of great press out of that adventure at the time.

Todd Z.

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
I still scratch my head when I think that a "roughly" stock Bronco can finish the same race as racers that cost $100,000. Makes me proud though. That is an awesome story.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
DownhillManiac99 said:
I still scratch my head when I think that a "roughly" stock Bronco can finish the same race as racers that cost $100,000. Makes me proud though. That is an awesome story.

I know, that's sweet! That thing was uncut too. This would make a killer BD article... especially if someone could contact these guys and get the long version of the story.

It cracks me up they stopped by Wal Mart to get an oil change. I guess it had been at least 3000miles since the last one ;D

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
DownhillManiac99 said:
I still scratch my head when I think that a "roughly" stock Bronco can finish the same race as racers that cost $100,000.

Well yeah, but it didn't finish, or even come close to finishing. But what a vision these dumb kids had! I never would of thought of something like that! ;D

67ster

Bronco Guru
What a tale ! Nobody told them they didn't have a chance but for the love of a sport and the adventure , they came out winners in their own right . Back in the the early days of the Mint 400 there were many entries like this , unsponsored , unprepared but unwilling to quit . Name it and it was entered , military vehicles , passenger cars , pickups and motorhomes . Two guys used to dress in tuxedos and toast with champagne at each checkpoint . Great stuff !

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Very cool and I bet they had a lot of FUN. ;D ;D ;D Bill :p :cool: %)

BroncoWyatt

yeah, I remember when that happened. At the time, I asked around to see if anyone knew of them . I never found any contacts, but maybe I should do some more digging. I still have the original newspaper article that my father in law cut out for me. It is funny that someone found it after all this time. I have told this story to many people.