• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speaking of Dana 44 rebuilds,, help

Miker

Bronco Guru
Is there any "idiot" proof step by step directions to do both a 44 and a 9 incher rebuild? This could be my first foree into doing such,,, or, should I get someone else to do it - right and be done with it?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Having just done the 44 with a friend of mine.........I would tell you it is very easy but setting the gear backlash is more magic (experience) then science.

After two attempts we still had the pinion slightly closer to the ring gear than desired but acceptable.

I haven't done a 9" and would probably leave that to a professional since it is more critical to get it right (perfect)

good luck

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
The book titled Differentials by Jim Allen and Randy Lyman gives detailed instructions on both. Also they include some tips, tricks, and what tools make the job easier as well as different sources to obtain them. I find it 's a good resource book for the shop library.
Good luck, .... Mark

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The 9" is really easy to set up but you need a good dial indicator and a very accurate inch-pound torque wrench to do it right. You have a little wiggle room on your setup specs but you definitely want to make sure its set up in spec.

I've never done a D44 myself... a buddy used to do differentials for a living and said the 44 is more difficult mainly because it has to be done in the housing unlike the 9" where the whole diff comes out as a unit.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I havent been in this vintage 44. But, Dana's typically have the shims behind the bearings on the side
. This makes it tricky to get right, unless you have dummy bearings.. You could always use your old bearings and hog them out a bit so you dont have to press/damage the new ones while selecting the right shims..

Honestly, unless you have the right tools it would be better to let someone else do it for you.. Anthough, I've also found that many guys dont like to do it right, claiming that they have a better way.. Their way may work, or not.. Either way, if you pay him, your paying to make it right..

ransil

Bronco Guru
Honestly, unless you have the right tools it would be better to let someone else do it for you.. Anthough, I've also found that many guys dont like to do it right, claiming that they have a better way.. Their way may work, or not.. Either way, if you pay him, your paying to make it right..

I tried this a few months ago, as time was running short getting my rig going, now I have a pinion with lots of play, leaky pinion seal and 2 leaky axle seals.

and it was a gear shop that did it not some everything shop. I will do it myself this time..

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I tried this a few months ago, as time was running short getting my rig going, now I have a pinion with lots of play, leaky pinion seal and 2 leaky axle seals.

and it was a gear shop that did it not some everything shop. I will do it myself this time..

Thats the shame of it.... Maybe you can rent a pinion shim gauge and dummy bearings from somewhere.. There's alot to it, to do it right, not difficult, just entailed and most folks dont understand why. The tools are the big thing..