• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stainless tube doors(sneak peek)

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
heres a sneak peek of some custom stainless tube doors a friend has designed for my ride , also in one photo is a sneak peek of the stainless tube console with the winters shifter. of course there not finished yet but you will get the ideal of how he hid the latch and made it open and close like a regular door with a custom handle, also note it uses complete stock door hinges for ease of putting stock doors back on. the first one is shown with optional lower screen which I choose to use on my ride. also note the top full bar is inline with the trim and the upper loop/handle is inline with the top of thee front fenders.

Attachments

• door with screen.jpg
    door with screen.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 289
  • door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 255
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 268
  • door3.jpg
    door3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Those tight 90's ? are you using handicap grab bars and then adding to them?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those tight 90's ? are you using handicap grab bars and then adding to them?

They look like "short 90" and "short 45" butt-weld fittings to me...bend radius for 1.5" OD is only 2.25"..and only 3" bend radius for 2" OD.

I've used a lot of those over the years to fab marine wet (jacketed) exhaust systems for smaller engines stuffed in to tight spaces...sailboats mostly.

Those are some really nice tube doors!

OP
OP
74strokerbronco

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
Who's door latch? Bear Claw? Does it fit the stock, oval striker?

good eye ,yes there the small bear claws modified some to fit in the tube, no they don't fit the factory striker so we made some stainless striker plates that mount to the original location. the claws do come with strikers.

crush somebody has an orbital welding rig!!!

NO there hand welded !! but there is a trick , he back filled all the tube with argon. they are absolutely the cleanest smallest fuse welds I've ever seen done by hand.

bmc69 They look like "short 90" and "short 45" butt-weld fittings to me...bend radius for 1.5" OD is only 2.25"..

correct they are sanitary 90's and 45's . the man also builds custom headers
with the things that look awesome.

bax Those tight 90's ? are you using handicap grab bars and then adding to them?

no the farm has a strong account at a local steel distributor and I got a bargain on 100' of 1.5x 095 mill finish stainless tube. but yes tight sanitary 90's

gweiner I would be interested in buying a pair if we would make some more!

anything is possible!! he had many many hours of playing with ideas and the claws but now that he has it all figured out the next set should go fairly fast and easy.

thanks all for the compliments !!

Letsgocrawling

Loc.
Tucson Az.
Very nice Harlen, Kudos to you and your fabricator freind, definently a nice summer addition to the eb. p.s. it's about time mister iv'e been hearing about these for forever LOL

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I have to admit, those are the nicest non bent tubing stitched together bars I've ever seen!

OP
OP
74strokerbronco

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
Dale the man who made them likes to sand and polish out all the joints and tubing so they have a continuous non welded look which he does when building custom headers mostly on turbo applications, which I'm sure would look awesome but for this set were just going to do a scotch brite brushed finish look, I believe in not hiding quality welds and letting everyone see it. I may in the future at some point sand and polish them out . It's funny he says he is not a fab guy ! he is a engine machinist and rebuilder. He did all the block work on my 408 and did the valve job on my heads.

I originally spoke with him about building tube doors when I spotted his Bailey tubing bender, he said no problem and I dropped off a stick of mild steel 1.75 x 095 tubing , he then googled images of tube doors on EB's and said quote " honestly he didn't like any of them he seen and that he could make them nicer and faster using stainless and this method so the radius's matched the door jams better.

Last edited: