• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting old motor for the first time question..

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I am not an avid engine guy, so I need some help in this department.

I have an engine that has been sitting since early 1990's maybe even the late 80's. After refitting the engine with new rotor, wires, coil, cap, and plugs, drained what little oil was left, put in fresh, then Murphy's n(Marvel, I meant) Mystery in the cylinders and let it set, turning it after a week of marinating to make sure the motor wasn't seized. It turned over over no problem.
I cleaned the carb and shot some cleaner down the throat. New fuel filter.

I also disconnected fuel line from the tank, and ran a new line into a five gallon gas can, as I didn't want to risk sucking something(s) into the carb from the old tank.

So after trying to get it to start, I checked to see if any gas was reaching the carb. It was dry.

My question is, should I have primed the fuel line (I didn't) and what steps should I take in trying to get the truck to start with an external gas tank line. All advice and tips are appreciated.

Last edited:

graniteguy

Loc.
Kempner, TX
Did you spray the Carb cleaner just prior to starting? That or some gas should get it started long enough for the engine to run while the gas is making its way to the Carb.

Toddml

It takes few cranks of the engine to get the mechanical pump primed, however the length of time the engine has not run the fuel pump may be dried out and cracked. My Bronco is in the process of body work etc, the engine works but sits for a few weeks at a time, which the carb dries out and takes awhile to get fuel back to the carb. I would change the pump and go from there.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
The carb may be all gummed up after sitting for that long. Though you can poor some gas into the vent on the carb. using a squeeze bottle, a spray can cap normally is about what a fuel bowl holds.

As long as the fuel pump is OK, with the fuel in the carb bowl should be enough to get it started and prime the fuel pump..

I am assuming the fuel line you ran is hooked into the inlet of the fuel pump

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would unplug the coil wire and turn the motor over for several seconds to prime the oil pump to lube all the galleys and valve train. If you have any sort of gauge, it should start reading pressure.

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I did pour a little gas down the throat. And it acted like it wanted to give in, but I just kept getting a little "ptss" every now and again. Don't know if it was burning the Murphy's (I meant Marvel Mystery, It was late;)) out, but their was definitely some spark there because it was some light haze in the air. And yes, I did hook the line into the fuel pump not straight to the carb.

I think I cycled the engine enough to get it nice and lubed with the fresh oil. I just don't think the carb is up to snuff and will have to be looked at a little closer.

So Don, when you come down to Mattapoisett, and you want to wrench, I will treat you to a trip to Turk's. You in? ;)

Last edited:

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Since you have cranked it several times, the pump should be primed. You can pull the fule line to the carb and crank it a few times, if your FP isn't toast, it should squirt fuel out.

If you are getting fuel to the carb, but not through the carb, it may need cleaning / rebuild kit.
If you aren't getting fuel to the carb after cranking for 30 seconds or so, its the fuel pump.
Plug cleaning / replacement may be in order if its not firing on starting fluid or fuel down the carb.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
might want to pull a plug or 2 make sure they are not oil fouled from the msytery oil. Lots of possibly other factors as toy why it wont light off. A big one could be sticky valves that are not allowing compression to be built up.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Oil in the cylinders & rotating the engine is good, but just to clarify, you used Marvel Mystery Oil, not Murphy's Oil Soap, right? Marvel Mystery Oil is a good choice for the task, but Murphy's Oil Soap is for cleaning wood. As mentioned above, make sure the plugs aren't fouled from the oil. Once it does fire it will smoke until that oil burns off.

How was the carb cleaned? Was it completely torn down, cleaned, & rebuilt with new gaskets? If not, it's probably still gummed up inside hidden passageways. If you have access to another known good carb you might swap it on temporarily for testing.

Here's my routine. I use an old lawn mower gas tank with a long rubber fuel line for 1st time start ups. The fuel pump is left disconnected from the vehicle's tank so it can't pump fuel. The carb end of the pump line is directed safely just in case there's a splash of gas left in the pump. The lawn mower tank is put on a pad on the roof of the vehicle with fresh gas in it. The rubber line is attached to the carb. Gravity feeds the fuel, so there's no question that gas gets to the carb. It gives me a chance to sort out starting issues without as many variables. If there's no gas in the carb, I know it's either a carb or direct mount filter issue. Once everything is working well I either reconnect everything to the vehicle's tank & pump, or the temp tank can be moved to the ground & the fuel pump connected to the carb & temp tank to test the pump.

Triple check the firing order & spark plug wires. It's really really common (really ;D) to have those crossed up after they have been replaced. Your description sounds like it might be popping a little, but very weakly. Firing order issues can cause that symptom, as well as retarded timing. You might also try advancing the timing a little once you're sure the order is correct.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Fill your carb with fresh gas through the vent tube using a wire to guide it in. That should get your motor running for awhile if the timings and idle is set right.

diestech74

Loc.
canton
I also had the metal line from the pump to the carb clog up after sitting for some time that i found after i went for the quick fix and replaced the FP. so its best to figure out where you have fuel to then the problem should be smiling at you. May also try pulling the plugs & free spinning the motor to lossen up the rings after such a long sit.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I went through something similar a while back. I had to go back and clean the plugs to get it to fire. If it didn't fire after a few revolutions, I had to go back and clean them again. I also noticed it took more fuel than expected.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
I went thru this last weekend.Put a 77 302 in mine and I used a 1/4" socket on a drill to turn the oil pump CCW before I turned the engine over.Worked very well but my cordless drill wasnt happy :)