• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

starting problem ignition switch/ wiring?

sjpiro

Loc.
Wenatchee
Finally at that stage of firing up after rewiring my 66. Used a ron Francis
universal kit; added pertronix and pertronix coil. Turn key to what seems to be the on position, and use a remote starter. Engine turns over, seems to fire, but when I release trigger on starter she dies. Same with key start, key to start, engine fires and runs, but key does not return to on, starter keeps running so I have to turn switch to off.

Is this an ignition switch problem, or a wiring problem? When the battery cables are not hooked up the key turns to start, and although a little sticky,
it does seem to spring back to an open position. When I hook the battery cables back up, the ingition process seems to go from off to start, with no
return to the on position.

Thanks for any advice.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Sound like the ignition wire to the coil isn't connected to the ign switch.
When the starter is cranking the ignition is powered by a different source, the I post on the solenoid.

You might just have a worn out switch. First thing I'd do is remove the key cylinder and use a screwdriver in the switch to see if it will operate ok. With the cylinder out, you can see the part in switch the is turned by the key.
If it's still funky while using the screwdriver I'd buy a new switch.
They're affordable, found at most any parts store, and a PITA to put back in.

musetech

Loc.
Alexandria
Sounds like a switch problem. Should have positive firm positions. Jumping in cause I just found the source of my crappy starting situation. I found the voltage to the coil dropping down to 9 or so volts during cranking. Not the battery, as it maintained 12+ during the process.

Luck to you.