• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting problem-need help please!!!

67bondobronc

I was going to take the Bronco out on a ride this afternoon around the neighborhood but it won't start. It is a 302 and I have not done anything to it since last weekend when it started fine. I turn the ignition and it starts for just a second and then dies out. I did this repeatedly so I take it I am getting gas and spark. Everything is connected and I have no idea where to look now. Please help.

Thanks

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
spray some starting fluid down the carb or pour a trickle or two of gas down there to see if it runs longer. You might be empty in the tank. Its the easiest and quickest thing to check.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
If it has a ballast resistor it may be open. Some vehicles send a full twelve volts to the coil in the start position and then 6-8 volts when the key is in the on position. If the ballast resistor is bad it will run in the start position and not run in the on position.

OP
OP

67bondobronc

I have gas in the tank and I did the gas down the carb but still the same results. It's like something is turning it off.........it that makes sense. Also, no ballast resistor.

Any ideas? I am at a loss on this because it ran fine last weekend. Maybe it knows how much gas cost and it is helping me out.;D

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
67bondobronc said:
I have gas in the tank and I did the gas down the carb but still the same results. It's like something is turning it off.........it that makes sense. Also, no ballast resistor.

Any ideas? I am at a loss on this because it ran fine last weekend. Maybe it knows how much gas cost and it is helping me out.;D

Then I would go with 72sports suggestion. Check voltage at the coil with the key on "run" you should have voltage.....if not jump a wire from the battery to that terminal to see if it runs....if yes check your run wire from the ign switch.

cokerag

I do not know if it applies to you particular duraspark module (I assume this is what you have on your bronco),but some of them have a separate wire to the solenoid for starting and another wire feeding from the ignition switcth to keep it running after releasing the key. Check the power on the switch side in the key on position. If it has power the module has to be bad. Check this theory with your buddiesand see if they agree. Just tring to help.