• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting problem

mortimersnerd

I'm having an odd and worsening issue with starting. The first start of the day usually takes a little more work, but is OK. If I shut it off, then try to restart I have to run the starter for a many seconds (15-20?) while trying to rev the engine up over 1500-2000rpm. If I can get it revved up and keep it there for a bit the truck runs totally normally. This AM, I pulled the truck out of the garage, then shut it off in the driveway. When I got back in it would rev, but died as soon as I stopped running the starter. The problem has started since I redid my fuel lines with steel. They're run outside the frame rail and are well away from all the exhaust components, and I'm pretty sure it's not vapor lock because it doesn't seem to be temperature dependent. One theory from a friend is that some crud from the new lines is holding the float open a little and making the engine flood a little when the engine is starting. Any ideas about where to start?

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
If it was flooding, it would be a hard start and then black smoke from the exhaust.

How does it idle?

At first start of the day, before trying to start , look into the carb with the choke open and rotate the linkage open. Do you see any fuel squirting from the nozzle?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

It idles fine, and runs totally normally once it's started. Air/fuel ratio is fine once the carb is blown out (I've got a wideband AFR meter installed). I'll check the carb today.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Sounds like the issue I was having but mine was only when is was hot and if the engine sat for a short period which i think was causing the heat to soak into the carb and boil the fuel. I did not have this issue when the engine was cold.

If your problem showed up after the fuel line install then maybe it is in the carb. Where is the fuel filter located?

OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

I've got one fuel filter right after the tank and one between the fuel pump and the carb. It could be heat soak, but I've got a 1/2 spacer between the carb and intake manifold.