• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel Body Guru Q...????

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I need you steel guru's to tell me what you think.. If i do this right, without screwing up, I think i can make both my rear quarter panels for the cost of one sheet of steel, 4x8 = around 25 bucks. The issue is obviously they are not flat pieces of metal, and they do have that body line in them behind the wheel opening.

Since i moved my rear axle back, and will be running 40's there will be a lot of the metal cut out. I figure i will only need no more than 5" of that body line showing. So really that would be the biggest challenge. I still have the old quarter panels, so i have a template than i can get screwed up. The other issue would be making the whole panel have that roll to it. Again, there will be a bunch of material cut out, so i don't think this will be too hard to do.

What do you Steel Masters think? Am I crazy? If I can do this, it will cost 30 bucks or so, and my time. Otherwise, the two panels new will cost 180 plus shipping...

Someone have a metal break that can do a piece of metal 4 foot 3 inch in length?

Here is where i traced the picture..

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Quarter_Panel_Skin_66-76_Driver/More_Steel_Body_Parts

My drawing of what i think my cut will look like.

P3010213.jpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Anything is doable. Since your cutting out a large amount of the body line it shouldnt be that tough. you can use the taillight panel as a referance for the body line once its good you could roll and bend the top.
If you have access or have the equipment to do it then its worth it. If you find you cant do it then your not out much.

OP
OP
carter2772

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
If you have access or have the equipment to do it then its worth it. If you find you cant do it then your not out much.

The only thing is i dont know if anyone local has a break big enough to bend the top for me. It is 4 foot 3 inch across. I know of a 24" break, but nothing bigger. I have to buy metal anyways, 1 full sheet for some other body work, so instead of buying 2, I think i will try to do these first, and if i screw up, i can still use the screw up for the smaller things.. I guess its worth a shot. I just have never done anything like it before. But thats how i learn.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I cannot help with your question, but if you pull it off, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I'd like to see pics of the finished product.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I made removable lower quarters(held on by Dzus fasteners) from a sheet of 18 gauge for my trail rig. With the flare cut outs I had little body line left to match, just a bit at the rear which I simulated in a brake. It was pretty quick and easy and looked fine for a trail rig.