• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel JBG core support for my glass bronc??

tonytheplumber

Loc.
Lowell, IN
So I have this here fiberglass "project" that I bought, and I'm curious if anybody has used a steel core support for their fiberglass Bronco rather than the fiberglass unit. The reason I ask it that there are no lower radiator hangers to bolt the bottom radiator mounts to on the fiberglass core support as it sits now. I'm sure with some work I would be able to craft something up, but truthfully the fiberglass core suppor doesn't seem too sturdy IMO and I'm thinking the steel one may make some things a bit easier to achieve. I'm hoping for some insight on this as I would like to just order a core support from JBG and swap out the fiberglass one for steel.

jamesf7278

Loc.
Salmon Arm B.C
i have an older glass tub that was missing the front end when I got it so I used my old steel rad support and front tubs and fabbed up my own inner fenders that were a little larger by the kick panels and bolted it to the glass tub. fully removable and adjustable.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I used the all the steel inner fender parts on my glass bronco. (core support, inner fenders, and fender aprons)
Where it was steel to steel I drilled and plug welded and where it was steel to fiberglass I used bolts.

OP
OP
tonytheplumber

tonytheplumber

Loc.
Lowell, IN
Sounds like I'm gonna get my hands on a steel core support and start there. Wanted to make sure this wasn't a bad idea before I pulled the trigger on it. Thank you, gentlemen!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I built my glass bronco two years ago and the only thing glass is the tub and fenders. The entire inner front clip is new steel, also steel is the grill, hood, doors, windshield frame, and tailgate.

Its hard to say in your case if id just glass in them missing lower supports or go with steel. Glassing in a lower support would be so simple and quick! Its hard to advise you without pics and more info. Good luck.....glass is your friend.

FYI my brand new coresupport took a shit load of grinding, cutting, welding, beating, and more welding to get it to fit. You can get them with the frame supports and everything welded together these days (couldn't 3 years ago) so that will save you some time but the quickest and easiest will probably be to glass onto what you have already.

What do you all have that's glass???? Tub,fenders, core support, front inner wheel wells and fender aprons? grill????

OP
OP
tonytheplumber

tonytheplumber

Loc.
Lowell, IN
I built my glass bronco two years ago and the only thing glass is the tub and fenders. The entire inner front clip is new steel, also steel is the grill, hood, doors, windshield frame, and tailgate.

Its hard to say in your case if id just glass in them missing lower supports or go with steel. Glassing in a lower support would be so simple and quick! Its hard to advise you without pics and more info. Good luck.....glass is your friend.

FYI my brand new coresupport took a shit load of grinding, cutting, welding, beating, and more welding to get it to fit. You can get them with the frame supports and everything welded together these days (couldn't 3 years ago) so that will save you some time but the quickest and easiest will probably be to glass onto what you have already.

What do you all have that's glass???? Tub,fenders, core support, front inner wheel wells and fender aprons? grill????
It's all glass as of right meow, save for some steel brackets bolted to the core support for body mounts. I ordered a core support from JBG yesterday, pretty sure it is completely assembled (body mounts, lower rad hangers). Not saying it's gonna go together without some persuasion, but I just feel like the glass core support doesn't have enough ass to support the glassed in lower rad hangers very competently. I have a Howe aluminum radiator to sling into there, and I want to make sure that big beautiful thang doesn't go anywhere. ;D