• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel or Fiberglass?

dougefresh47

Recently bought a 1969 Ford Bronco and trying to get some input. Is it better to keep the stock steel (w/ rust) or should I consider switching to a fiberglass tub, fenders, etc...? Its gonna need to be broken down quite a bit to remove alot of the rust...planning on a complete restoration

gd71eb

if you have the money

id go fiberglass. i am 100% fiberglass except in the winter when i will throw on the stock steel doors. I plan on lining the entire floor with diamond plate then linex the whole thing.

CON: if you want a real nice exterior, you will need to put in some time doing the fine tuning. all bodies have the seam lines that need sanded and on mine i got a little flat spot on the passanger fender but it beats the hell outta fixing rust

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I've got a glass tub. There's still a fair bit of work involved. If you have to replace about 35-40% of sheet metal, that would be about my cutoff point (basically - 4 corners, floors and door posts) where it would be easier to drop a glass tub on it. Glass EBs aren't worth quite as much, but they are lighter and won't rust. Glass is tough and easily repairable.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
glass is a good option I love my steel tub on my 69 but if you can see rust just imagine whats on the inside %) I didn't even consider anything but glass on my 74, still in pieces :cry:

Deano

Bronco Guru
I like them boath but if you have a lot of parts that are rusted out like the whole quter side falling off then I would go FG but if it's just floor pans and door post I would stick with the metel body they are not that bad to replace. I went with FG when the side fell off! It was a lot of work to get everything to go together with FG but it was worth it! If you would like to see how much work is involved go to my flickr page and you can see the building of my FG EB.