• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column and Hydroboost

AussieBronco

I've decided to pull on an extreme makeover starting with an EFI conversion and it has spilled over into brakes and steering. Anyway my Hboost seems to just miss the intake when inverted, however one of the hydraulic lines is going get in the way of the steering column.

In the whole process of doing the conversion I realized the power steering conversion was a very amature installation and a very leaky/sloppy box and have replaced the box and lower steering shaft. It is a telescopic shaft.

The upper shaft is also very sloppy. My question is, can I cut the upper shaft closer to the firewall and extend my lower shaft (skinnier) up there to create more room for the hydraulic line? The upper shaft feels so sloppy like it doesn't even have a lower bearing, so in the process of shortening the shaft can I put a new lower bearing further up in the shaft?

My bronco is a 72 and the steering shaft is for a manual. I plan on upgrading my account so I can post pictures tomorrow of what I am talking about.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Lindsay

OP
OP
AussieBronco

AussieBronco

So after looking at it yesterday afternoon it appears if I rotate it 90 and put an adapter plate I will have the same problem with the other hydraulic line. You seem to have more room between your booster and shaft flousberg. It is a manual so putting in the clutch location is out of the question.

What I was planning was chopping the shaft just after it goes through the firewall and if possible getting the old retainer out of the end of the shaft and putting it in where I cut it. If that doesn't work I was going to NAPA and annoy them until I can find a bearing with an OD to fit the outer shaft and an ID to fit the inside shaft. This will also get rid of the messy shifters hanging out the side.

Does anybody see a problem with either of these ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• HBoost in relation to intake.jpg
    HBoost in relation to intake.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Clearance Issue.jpg
    Clearance Issue.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Clearance 2.jpg
    Clearance 2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 21
  • End of steering shaft.jpg
    End of steering shaft.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 14

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Cutting the outer shaft and installing a new bearing closer to the top of the shaft could potentially increase bearing load on both bearings and increase wear (but hell, they last like 30Y anyway so no big deal). You'd really have to be leaning on teh steering wheel for this to become a problem though.

To make sure I have enough room for my efi conversion (new engine is in the garage and not in my truck :() I flipped my HB unit and moved it outboard several inches. I have a manual trans so I had to modify the brake pedal by putting a matching pushrod off the left side. Getting clearance over the steering shaft and under the pedal bracket (this is all under the dash) was the hardest part, but otherwise it came out good.

flousberg

What Hydroboost are you using? I have a different column, but that should not make a difference. In the pics you have it at 180. turn it clockwise 90°. I have a ton of room between the column and bottom connection.

OP
OP
AussieBronco

AussieBronco

So just to update. I went ahead and chopped the shaft closer to the firewall and reinstalled the bearing retainer as well as the retainer for the transmission shifter as well. It looks much better that with the linkages hanging out and has given me the clearance I need for the hydro lines. It actually has less slop than when I first pulled out out. I will post a pic tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.

OP
OP
AussieBronco

AussieBronco

Here are the pics in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 17