• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column Flange Rubbing on Steering Wheel

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
They are both about 1-1/16 from the the start of the splines to the runout of the taper, so the steering wheel will sit about the same on both shafts. The old shaft has a wider relief between splines & taper start.
The old shaft, with spring and lower clamp, could be extended more from the top of the column creating more clearance between collar and wheel.
The new shaft location is fixed by snap ring on shaft.

OP
OP
F

FoMoCoBronCo

They are both about 1-1/16 from the the start of the splines to the runout of the taper, so the steering wheel will sit about the same on both shafts. The old shaft has a wider relief between splines & taper start.
The old shaft, with spring and lower clamp, could be extended more from the top of the column creating more clearance between collar and wheel.
The new shaft location is fixed by snap ring on shaft.

That makes a lot of sense. Good catch – I didn’t notice that. So would that indicate to you that a power steering setup should take a different wheel? Or that my old wheel inner is just too worn ? Or that the used power steering shaft I bought is too worn?

I’m just not sure where to go from here. I don’t want to just buy a wheel if that’s not going to solve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blade

Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
B
Or that my old wheel inner is just too worn ? Or that the used power steering shaft I bought is too worn?
There shouldn't be any wear, the wheel doesn't spin on the shaft due to the splines. What may have happened is that someone overtightened the nut and forced the wheel on too far and expanded the opening on the taper.

OP
OP
F

FoMoCoBronCo

B

There shouldn't be any wear, the wheel doesn't spin on the shaft due to the splines. What may have happened is that someone overtightened the nut and forced the wheel on too far and expanded the opening on the taper.

The taper on the inside of the wheel? Or the taper on the outside of the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk