• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column - rebuiding column and removing shifter components

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to get rid of all the 3-on-the-tree related shifter components on my 72 column. I'd also like to rebuid the column w/ new bearings and bushings.

The column is totally out. It appears the bottom retainer doesn't come off. Seems to be crimped on. Is this correct? Does the lower bearing have to be removed from the top? How do the lower shift ears come out?

Also, I'd like to replace the upper collar with one that doesn't have the shifter knob. I already have the collar. It looks like the only way to remove it is to cut the column wiring. Correct?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont know about the bottom column bearing but you should be able to remove the wires from the connector with a dental pick or something similar there are small tangs on the side of the terminal that once depressed you can remove it from the block.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I just rebuild my column, lower bearing and bushing. My lower bearing has two small weld tacks on it. Had to dremel them off. I then tacked the new one back in the same spot.

I cut my wires.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I think my lower bearing retainer is actually crimped on. I don't see any tack welds, but there are 3-4 crimps in the column itself about 2" up from the bottom. I don't see how I could get that out cleanly.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Congrats on the baby!

I have a 72 Sport and the lower bearing retainer was not crimped. It is a clamp with a bolt and nut. I took my entire column apart (With some help) and we ended up cutting the wires. Make sure you leave yourself plenty of wire to make the reconnection. Once I got the steering column out, the rest was really easy. Mine was complete slop while shifting, so we put a new shift tube in it and it works great

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
broncnaz said:
Dont know about the bottom column bearing but you should be able to remove the wires from the connector with a dental pick or something similar there are small tangs on the side of the terminal that once depressed you can remove it from the block.
He's right you don't have to cut them. A small screw driver will work too. Take out the red center piece that locks the pins in. Looking at the connector there is a small tab that gets pushed toward the center of the connector. Then you can pull out the wire. Don't forget to right down which wire goes where.