• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column substitution

Scottylack

i have a 68 Bronco with three on the tree I am putting an automatic in it because my wife and kid want to drive it i found a 75 auto column with linkage will it fit in there without any issues?

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Is your current column power steering or is the new one? Manual columns are longer than the power units. I would switch over to a collapsible shaft while you are switching it out.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you don't spring for the collapsible shaft the vendors sell a u-joint to install and make it work. You cut down the shaft and weld the u-joint in place to get the right length and angle for the ps box.

OP
OP
S

Scottylack

my current is a manual steering column three on tree the other one i want to substitute is an original used 75 automatic thanks

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Unless you have the 1975 column plus the lower shaft, you will need this or something like it. If the 68 is stock it will have manual steering so a 1975 lower shaft which is most likely power steering is also not the same as the manual. If this seems confusing call 209-400-7200 ask for Matt, he can walk you through it.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/custom-early-bronco-lower-steering-shaft

Attachments

• 4371_1909_popup.jpg
    4371_1909_popup.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Manual columns are longer than the power units.

There is absolutely no difference between the columns when it comes to power steering or manual steering. They are the same exact column.

Unless you have the 1975 column plus the lower shaft, you will need this or something like it. If the 68 is stock it will have manual steering so a 1975 lower shaft which is most likely power steering is also not the same as the manual. If this seems confusing call 209-400-7200 ask for Matt, he can walk you through it.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/custom-early-bronco-lower-steering-shaft

He can just use the 75 column with whatever steering shaft he's currently using.