• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sterling axle questions

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
So I’ve been looking through the many threads on Sterlings and have found lots of good info. Still a flew things I’m not sure about. I would like to narrow which I know makes for a lot of extra work, I’d just don’t really want the full width. It does involve a lot for not a whole lot of difference in width, I realize.

I found you can’t re-spline the axles as they are necked up at the spline, but is it possible to cut the outer end and bore and turn the flange to realign and weld it back to the axle. I just don’t know what alloy these are made of to even make this possible. Another thing would be a turned surface for a seal on the outer end of the housing? Simple operation on the lathe if there’s enough material there.

There are a couple of Ford dealers I’ve seen selling the stock lockers for under $500 if that’s a legit deal? I would probably look for a 2nd generation axle for the better pinion and would likely have to put gears in short of being lucky in whats out there. Which I’m also not current on. Some older posts suggested sterlings were easy to come up with and fairly inexpensive at the yards. Is that still the case or have they gotten scarce and more expensive?

They do have OX lockers available for the Sterling and I actually like the looks of it and your choice of actuating the locker. The downside would be shaving is likely out of the question as the OX has its own cover because of the shift fork etc. built into the case.

I’m probably not gonna be a all out rock crawler with this Bronc, but am looking at 37”/38” shoes and just want something reliable with those in mind. Planning on doing 4 link if my brain gets along with the spreadsheet and such. So there will be a truss mount involved which would take care of the spun axle tube possibility the Sterlings supposedly have.

Thanks for any current thoughts or comments!

Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Planning on a 60 for the front also??

Hi Steve,

I’m still a bit on the fence there… I’ve run across some posts suggesting they’re harder to come by but I really haven’t asked around and posts can vary in date quite a bit when I search the site. I’m a bit familiar with the Jana 54 and some of the other things that can be done to the 44 to supposedly get it close to a 60 but it all gets pretty pricy as well. And if I stay with 8 x 6.5 with the Sterling then I need that in front as well.

Scott

Last edited:

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It takes a lot of work to do a one ton swap, ever think about 35 splines for the rear and RVC axle shafts in the front? that combo will do a good job with 37" tires. If your set on tons maybe look for a matched set of 05' and up axles folks are using those front axles and building/buying arms that work with the factory Ford mounts on the front axle housing.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You have a good plan with the sterlings. I have a old school balljoint d60 rear axle I'm not sure what to do with. Saving it for a rainy day. Yes tons of work, but who cares, do what you want I always say, good luck.:cool:

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
It takes a lot of work to do a one ton swap, ever think about 35 splines for the rear and RVC axle shafts in the front? that combo will do a good job with 37" tires. If your set on tons maybe look for a matched set of 05' and up axles folks are using those front axles and building/buying arms that work with the factory Ford mounts on the front axle housing.

Yup, I started out in that direction, liked the idea of full float, found Schreiner and some one else that makes FF kits…just couldn’t find much feedback from anyone who had used them. Liked the looks of the new Eaton E-locker4, it it’s not made for the 9”. OX doesn’t work because of the integral rear case. Those have just kept me looking around. What’s available around here may be a big factor. We do have a Pik and pull south of Kearney but I’ve not been through the place yet. Too many decisions! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
You have a good plan with the sterlings. I have a old school balljoint d60 rear axle I'm not sure what to do with. Saving it for a rainy day. Yes tons of work, but who cares, do what you want I always say, good luck.:cool:

Thanks for the comment! Balljoint rear axle? Is that a rear axle converted for the front?

I’ve seen you on here but are you on the NEB Facebook group as well?

Scott

Last edited: