• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STOCK Explorer Compressor with Saginaw Pump possible?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I have a brand new Explorer compressor I'm using and was going to run the stock explorer ps pump, but that reservoir is so ugly...

Saginaw/Delphi is a better pump and integrated res.

So I thought I'd check before dropping $150 on a nice Moroso reservoir if I can spend a little more and just do the pump but still u se the stock compressor.

Is there a bracket that allows this or should I just proceed as originally planned?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Since no one else has responded, here's one data point...

My setup is a stock junkyard Explorer PS pump feeding a SuperDuty hydroboost and a 4x4x2 steering box, 35" tires. I don't rock crawl anymore, but do spend a lot of time on dirt. That pump has been in service since 2005 and I've probably put 150k miles on it. I had a modified OEM reservoir briefly but hated it, so I made my own. Which I probably wouldn't do now since there are so many options, and it was a lot of work. Your mileage may vary and if you are planning a ram on the steering then the Explorer pump is marginal, as I understand it (I don't have one and have no plans for one).

Meanwhile I have a stock Explorer AC compressor doing what it's supposed to do. Sure is nice to have AC in the Sacramento Valley right now.

Again, just one data point. My mission doesn't tax the Explorer pump very much which is probably why it has lasted so long.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Since no one else has responded, here's one data point...

My setup is a stock junkyard Explorer PS pump feeding a SuperDuty hydroboost and a 4x4x2 steering box, 35" tires. I don't rock crawl anymore, but do spend a lot of time on dirt. That pump has been in service since 2005 and I've probably put 150k miles on it. I had a modified OEM reservoir briefly but hated it, so I made my own. Which I probably wouldn't do now since there are so many options, and it was a lot of work. Your mileage may vary and if you are planning a ram on the steering then the Explorer pump is marginal, as I understand it (I don't have one and have no plans for one).

Meanwhile I have a stock Explorer AC compressor doing what it's supposed to do. Sure is nice to have AC in the Sacramento Valley right now.

Again, just one data point. My mission doesn't tax the Explorer pump very much which is probably why it has lasted so long.
Thanks Lars, I guess that’s what I was thinking and hoping for a response like that. I do think the stock explorer pump will be enough for me since I won’t be crawling anytime soon as it’ll look too nice and 35’s with the stock 76 box and the WH Hydroboost.

And no kidding on the heat!!! I picked up my hardtop from Dave last week and looked at the weather for Sac and saw it was supposed to be 109 on Sunday.

I’m Davis right now on our way to Almanor for the week and pretty nice but I’m sure another wave will come through.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like the picture? I think it’s great, little big, but adds a cooling component with capacity.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
That gives you a choice of stock or Saginaw PS pump but with a Sanden Compressor.

I want stock compressor with Saginaw PS.

So many choices…

But thank you for trying!

Ben

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
That gives you a choice of stock or Saginaw PS pump but with a Sanden Compressor.

So many choices…

Ben
Ben, just bolt on an OEM Explorer PS pump and AC compressor and move on. Yup, in principle the Saginaw pump is better but I doubt you will notice. Oh yeah. Hook up that AC. Sooo satisfying...

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ben, just bolt on an OEM Explorer PS pump and AC compressor and move on. Yup, in principle the Saginaw pump is better but I doubt you will notice. Oh yeah. Hook up that AC. Sooo satisfying...
Ok, will do. Thanks for the input.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

So many choices…

Ben
What is the stock compressor manf?

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Stock AC compressor is what fits on the Explorer stock bracket.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Here is the stock ac compressor for an explorer. And many other Fords. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098JY3Q2J/
Not sure why, but that one doesn't say it fits...looks right.

I got this one:

Also the one you posted I believe is a reman unit and the one I got it new...and less $$$

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
It looks like the picture? I think it’s great, little big, but adds a cooling component with capacity.
So it appears to show 2 reservoirs and in place said it looks stock? The round one is the explorer version that I am familar with, the square is the one they are selling? Does it actually hold greater fluid than the round one?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Awww, man! I got the Moroso reservoir that Moroso says fits and so does Summit and uhmm, well, no chance.

71253479638__DD9C882A-CE00-4DDF-AA1B-9A4653AF1A30.jpeg
This thing doesn’t go there. Then I looked around a bit and saw someone already post this and said he got a Moroso one from a Vette that fit and I see that and it’s even more and looks like it doesn’t even come with a cap! Wth. No thanks.

So, maybe I'll just get that ebay one but also saw this. Why is this thing SO EXPENSIVE? It is a Sagniaw pump made for us and a reservoir, but DAMN!

You can even get it setup for Hydroboost for a total of $1300!!!

What in the HELL?

I mean that is exactly what I asked for in this thread, but why so much?