• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock front and rear bumper

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I have an original 67. Were the front an rear bumpers straight across or did they have some bend to them in the ends? Mine is bent on one side from damage but it looks like it is supposed to straight.

Also, who has the best idea on how to straighten? I’ll be painting it back Wimbledon white once I get it straight.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not uncommon for some 67' to have 66' bumpers on them, don't do anything to them till you post some pics if you can. Or google 66' bumpers.

Edit: if it's the bumpers in your Garage pics, those are not 66' bumpers, the front bumper is on upside down though.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have straightened a few bent ends while still on the Bronco using a Come-Along. I hooked one end to the trailer hitch on my Yukon and the other to the bumper. I put a block of wood inside the bumper to pull against. They all straightened out nicely.

The first bent one i had I took to a body shop to see if they had a press. The guy said “You can’t bend that. That’s spring steel”. I”m thinking “something bent it”....

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Not uncommon for some 67' to have 66' bumpers on them, don't do anything to them till you post some pics if you can. Or google 66' bumpers.

Edit: if it's the bumpers in your Garage pics, those are not 66' bumpers, the front bumper is on upside down though.

Thanks for the info. Those are the ones I am talking about. Would 67 bumpers be straight?

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
The first bent one i had I took to a body shop to see if they had a press. The guy said “You can’t bend that. That’s spring steel”. I”m thinking “something bent it”....

Exactly. I had a shop tell me the same thing. I guess I will try some heat and see if I can beat them straight. Or follow your come-along method.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thanks for the info. Those are the ones I am talking about. Would 67 bumpers be straight?

Yes, the only bumpers that weren't straight were 66' front bumpers, they are curved at the ends, the last foot or so.

Screenshot_2018-05-12-18-53-49_zpsn7sqs0gt.png

Last edited:

Powerbyford

Loc.
Garden City, MO
I’ve straightened a lot tougher bumper from my 49 Studebaker 1 ton pickup with a Big hammer and well placed wood blocks on a on concrete floor. They can be straightened regardless of what the body shop says.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Like a couple of members above said heat and a hydraulic press the bigger the better.If you just start beating them it will leave small hammer marks and if you go too far you can bend it back pretty easy.BTW that's a nice clean Bronco you have.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK