• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Three Speed Cover Bolts

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
In the process of resealing a stock three speed and should have paid closer attention to the difference in the bolts. Two of them are longer and have "+" signs on the caps. Can someone elaborate on where these two go? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Was this a dumb question or does no one really know? Ha, ha...I assume the two are longer for a reason, but there is not a visibly apparent reason. This is the only thing holding me back from installing this thing. Anyone?

Last edited:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Hey Chief, I've got one sitting in my garage I'll take a look when I get home, it's a 6 cyl trans, not sure if that matters

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
+ Sign with no other markings usually means a standard grade bolt, but I have not seen one with it in decades. I think these days they must leave it blank.

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Yes, two of the bolts are longer, they go into the two holes that the threads are recessed deeper. In this picture with bell housing on the left (just in case it rotates), they are at the 12 and 7 o'clock positions.

Attachments

• 892.jpg
    892.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I concur with the Goose, looks like that’s where the “+” bolts are on mine ;D

Attachments

• C23BA4BC-239F-4477-8CBA-710F57C57793.jpg
    C23BA4BC-239F-4477-8CBA-710F57C57793.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Yes, two of the bolts are longer, they go into the two holes that the threads are recessed deeper. In this picture with bell housing on the left (just in case it rotates), they are at the 12 and 7 o'clock positions.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk