• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stripped Brake Bleeder Screw, what's a bigger PITA?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Brothers-

on my 76-77 D44 disc brake calipers, I was replacing the old bleeders with the speed bleeders and whilst one came out of the caliper no problem, the other stripped and rounded. I am soaking it for a day or two in penetrating fluid to see if I can work it out, but it looks like it's gonna give me hell anyway.

My question is, if I have to drill this bitch out and re-tap the bleeder's hole, wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to just buy a new/reman caliper? I see them online for like $15...

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
After it soaks, try using vise grips to get it out. But if not, I'd just get a new caliper instead of trying to drill and tap it. Not worth the time.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
kinda what I was thinking. Brakes lines are gone already so just a couple of bolts as oppose to a bunch of work... that little F-er is in there though!

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
the biggest problem with bleeder valves and brake lines in general is people use regular open ended wrenches which rounds off the heads. You really should use either a socket or a line wrench.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
x2 on using a socket or 6 point box end wrench for most surface area contact. You could even try the next SMALLEST metric equivalent socket and hammer...."tap"...it on there so it's nice and snug before turning on it.

If you can't get it, buy a replacement. Not worth the time.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
the biggest problem with bleeder valves and brake lines in general is people use regular open ended wrenches which rounds off the heads. You really should use either a socket or a line wrench.

x2 on using a socket or 6 point box end wrench for most surface area contact. You could even try the next SMALLEST metric equivalent socket and hammer...."tap"...it on there so it's nice and snug before turning on it.

If you can't get it, buy a replacement. Not worth the time.

You caught me. First was an open ended wrench, then I tried a socket. The stock bleeders are standard though, right? I tried a 10MM just in case but it didn't fit... but I haven't tried it with a hammer. it soaked all day, hopefully she'll come out nice and sweet.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Aftermarket brake calipers are sometimes metric, if they are OEM, then they are probably in inches. I had this issue trying to figure why my inch wrench wouldn't fit the brake cylinder on a set of cheapo chineese aftermarket brand brake cylinders.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Ryan, please post about some project that went smoothly with no hiccups. I can't believe everything on your Bronco fights you this much.:)

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I had a similar experience and bought a set of Kobalt bolt extractors that did the trick and knowing my Bronco, I'll be using it again and again.