• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stripped doors, what to coat inside with?

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
A while back, I picked up a pair of '68 doors for the '73 (want the removable frames) and had 'em media blasted so I can start with a clean slate. They look fantastic and the blaster was even able to get about 90%+ of the insides blasted clean. I'm fine with how to treat the exterior surfaces, but wondering what the best way to coat the inside of the doors....

I'm thinking about a conversion coating (to get any of that pesky surface rust that might still be in there), then brushing in something like POR and adding some sound-deadening treatment. What have you guys done?

The visible surfaces are going to get some etching primer, then a tiny bit of body work done, then primed, sealed, and painted my favorite color: Hot Ginger Poly. I'm thinking that I might get the removable frames chromed so I don't have to mess with painting & then installing the trim. Any thoughts about this?

bosshoff

Contributor
Leave the surface/flash rust, and use POR-15. This is a pain in the ass, messy job, but well worth it. Then Dynamat it, or use some other method to soundproof them. POR likes a little surface/flash rust to grab hold to.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I'm in the process of installing Dynamat in both my doors. If you buy their door kits from Amazon it's a fraction of the retail price.

OP
OP
Dan's73

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
POR + Dynamat sounds like the way to go....figure I'll tape over the holes on the outside, put on some long sleeves & gloves & get messy! Thanks for the input.

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
When I did my frame-off restomod I sprayed the inside of the doors with POR15. I picked up a cheapo spray gun and tossed it when I was done.

Just make sure you do this before exterior paint...

There are some non-Dynamat products that are quite a bit cheaper than the name brand stuff that costs so much.

http://www.coolandquiet.com/products.cfm
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

I used the stickyback B-Quiet with great success on the underside of the roof and the inside of my doors. Under the carpet is a layer of dB-Lyte.