• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stripped screw help!

broncoowner4

Loc.
peachtree city GA
I've got two stripped screws that have to come out and they are not in any position for me to hack saw them does anyone have some good tips or advice on how to get them out?

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
Either try to drill them out or get a removal kit from sears. they work wonders.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
can you put a slot in it? back it out with a straight headed screw driver?

pholcomb

Loc.
Aberdeen sd
They make screw drivers that u hit with a hammer and the turn when hit they work good to take rusted screw out. I cant think of what they call them for nothing at the moment but i work on self propelled john deere sprayer so we se lots of coroaded screws and they work.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
You need a set of screw extractors. Those things are awesome. Makes taking broken screws out so easy. Not to mention that they are dirt cheap.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
If you can get a screw driver on them to strip them you should be able to center punch them and use a left hand drill bit. A lot of times they will back right out. At worst they just drill out and you replace them.:)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You didn't specify where the stuck screw is at. Sometimes heat can be an alternative only in certain situations. Only as a last resort. If in a tight spot, you might use a cut-off wheel to make a flat top, next punch pin in middle of screw, use very small drill bit & go in 1/4", then step up to a #30 drill bit in same hole for about 3/8" deep, and lastly use E-Z out that fits a #30 hole. Thats what we use on F-16s when crewchiefs ruin a screw head. Get a good kit online, they are cheaper and can usually get more E-Z out bits. E-Z outs are very easy to round off and there is only so many times you can grind the tip down.

AND THEY DO BREAK OFF so be carefull!!! Thats where it becomes a problem!!! Just my .02 cents worth.

dave vh

Loc.
Lock haven
could try welding a allen wrench to head then cutting it off at about an inch. then you can put a socket on it. works for me

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Drill and tap. Good excuse to buy a tap and die set. One of the best tools I've bought. I'm going to guess fender screws in door post.

Pcparas

Just a warning, if you use any of the stripped screw remover kits or even a tap be careful not to break the tool off. The tools are normally hardened steel and it is even harder to get out a little hardened piece of steel than a stripped bold.

hannibal61577

Loc.
BOISE
I don't care much for extractors. I've rebuilt a 63 Jeep and have removed a handful of broken rusted bolts on the Bronco. An extractor has NEVER worked for me on a rusted or cross threaded bolt. Like others have said, you really don't want to snap an extractor off. I have in the past and am probably now a bit overly cautious. I normally center punch and drill, then, if I can, I will try to remove thread remnants with a small pick or screwdriver or something. If that fails, I then use a tap.

I've also tried the reverse twist drill bits on the last 3 bolts I removed from the bronco. They never did grab and twist the bolt out as I had hoped. :(

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Just a warning, if you use any of the stripped screw remover kits or even a tap be careful not to break the tool off. The tools are normally hardened steel and it is even harder to get out a little hardened piece of steel than a stripped bold.

Been there, done that!!! If you do break it off, better be good with a pencil grinder!