• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stripped upper shock threads

f2502011

Ran into a rear upper shock mount stud that is stripped and won’t torque down. What are my options? Is it possible to add thickness and threads back so it will tighten down?

fluffybunny

Contributor
IIRC, it's a 3/4. that is slightly (.050) larger than a 19mm so maybe you could use a metric tap and die set that had a 19mm and use a 19mm nut. I'm not a professional, just Youtube certified, so I'm just trying to help you figure out options. Also, if the outer threads are good, do you have enough room to run a second nut behind the first one or add a couple of washers in front of the first nut to stay on the good threads?

armynavy17

Contributor
I don't suppose you know how to weld? This is what I can think of right off the top of my head.

Farm fix #1:
You could potentially build up material and run a die down it.

Farm fix #2:
You could put the nut on as tight as you can get it and put a little tack weld on the exposed side of the nut.

Legitimate fix:
Might be able to find a time-sert that is the correct size. You'd be using it backwards so you'd need to supply your own die.

The right fix:
Cut off the old mount and weld on a new one.

Last edited:

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ran into a rear upper shock mount stud that is stripped and won’t torque down. What are my options? Is it possible to add thickness and threads back so it will tighten down?
I have 4 usable take off mounts laying in my scrap bin let me Know if that is something you would want to try to replace ,,,,I would send you one for the cost of shipping...