• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroppe STEEL wheels, totally different or just wider than EB?

C_Man69EB

Friends,

I know the steel stroppe wheels are 15x8, versus the oe EB wheels at 15x6 (or sometimes 7?) but are the centers identical to the regular EB? In some google searching, and photos from known Baja's with original steel wheels they look like the centers might even have a different center profile...but very similar. lets just say im trying to get the CORRECT original solution, or at least know the difference.

Steel wheels in chrome or white were the only wheel the stroppes had from the lot until 73 according to Andrew N. If I'm not mistaken. I've pinged Andrew but I know he is busy making a living too.

Thanks, Cullen

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Cullen: Andrew knows for certain. We're in Baja right now with limited comms.

Todd Z.

gritz

I would like to find this out also. I am working on a bronco that has wide wheels and they dont have what I would call ford centers. On my Marti report it shows being ordered with wide wheels but that doesnt mean some one didnt change them out. THe wheels I have are black but when you chip the paint you can see the chrome under the paint.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

AHHH...Thanks Todd, I completely forgot about NORRA. Of course, limited comms, I' cant believe you responded at all. Thanks. The wheel question will wait. You two have a good run and give em hell. Can't wait to see pics of the race truck in action.

Cullen

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

I would like to find this out also. I am working on a bronco that has wide wheels and they dont have what I would call ford centers. On my Marti report it shows being ordered with wide wheels but that doesnt mean some one didnt change them out. THe wheels I have are black but when you chip the paint you can see the chrome under the paint.

Something else that has probably been discussed but I never noticed until I started looking. I have never had a set of OEM wheels on a bronco. I've had 4 EB's but they all had wagons or alloys on them when i got them, including the stroppe. A friends 69 has (he believes) original steelies, and they ARENT the same as the steelies on another friends 73. The 73 had these little triangular indentions between the lug holes, and the 69 did not.

The stroppe Steel wheels i have seen, DID have the indentions, but also a more bell shaped center and more curved, and also a deeper dish due to being a couple inches wider than most factory EB wheels.

Im just trying to get to the bottom of this. I want stroppe steelies back on my 71 Baja, even though I have a set of slotted mags. Im putting them on my 69 Wagon.

OP
OP
C_Man69EB

C_Man69EB

Here is a picture of all the wheels Im discussing. just a rough collage from the different conditions. note the difference in the pie shaped elements between the lugs for each label. ALSO, i think i just answered my own question, the slots at the edge were different too. so that settles it. the Stroppe wheels were totally different.

sorry if this is waaaay down in the detail weeds guys, and on my 69 custom truck, i would never care, but i am curious about getting it right on the stroppe. thanks for your thoughts on it.

Attachments

• wheel comparisons.jpg
    wheel comparisons.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 64
  • slot comparisons.jpg
    slot comparisons.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: