• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroppe Steel Wheels

Bad137

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the aluminum aftermarket wheels from the PO with some stock looking steelies. I'm pretty sure I know the look I want, but I feel like I've gotten to the end of the internet and not found them. Not sure if a build from a place like Stockton Wheel is the answer, so hopefully you all can point me in the right direction.

Current wheel is 15x8 with a 3.625 backspace (90% sure, it could be a 3.5). I'm measuring backspace from the outermost of the inside edge of the wheel to the mounting surface using the spare tire. I get a smidge under 3 11/16 to as I move a block of wood around the rim, so I’m going with a 3 5/8 measurement. If I measure from just inside the outermost lip when the wheel inside ”flattens” out a bit, I get 3.5 (like measuring the wheel width and diameter). I’m somewhat obsessing about this measurement because the 1977 front end knuckle just barely clears the current wheel. In fact, in an area it looks like it is inside the wheel and would contact if it was a 14 inch wheel (hope that makes sense). So I think I need something with a 3.5 back space. Tires are 32x11.5R15 BFG A/T. I want the same look/stance with the new wheels, so am keeping the same size tire and wheel combination.

I do not want to go to stock steelies because I want the option for smaller (7, 7.5, or 8.125 inch) hubcaps--inspired by attached photo of an ICON Bronco with small caps. I think the Stroppe steel wheels had the inside cap tabs for the smaller caps, and those wheels also have a deeper look to them (less backspace?). I cannot find a new wheel that mimics this, and other wheels that are close do not have the backspace I need. I could do a reverse OE steelie from wheelvintiques and probably get what I’m looking for, but wanted to check with you pros.

I plan to paint (powdercoat?) the wheel to match the white top of my two tone. It’s Ford “Ultra white” and not wimbledon.

1. Am I measuring backspace right, and it is the very outermost edge as the “datum”?
2. Any 15x8 stock steelies with small hubcap tabs out there?
3. Is there a reproduction of the Stroppe steelies?

Thanks for the help guys.

Brett

Attachments

• IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5721.jpg
    IMG_5721.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5723.jpg
    IMG_5723.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5726.jpg
    IMG_5726.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.31.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.31.04 AM.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.31.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 10.31.13 AM.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 128

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
wheels

The last time I checked I think Stockton wheel was no longer producing these.

Joe473

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the aluminum aftermarket wheels from the PO with some stock looking steelies. I'm pretty sure I know the look I want, but I feel like I've gotten to the end of the internet and not found them. Not sure if a build from a place like Stockton Wheel is the answer, so hopefully you all can point me in the right direction.

Current wheel is 15x8 with a 3.625 backspace (90% sure, it could be a 3.5). I'm measuring backspace from the outermost of the inside edge of the wheel to the mounting surface using the spare tire. I get a smidge under 3 11/16 to as I move a block of wood around the rim, so I’m going with a 3 5/8 measurement. If I measure from just inside the outermost lip when the wheel inside ”flattens” out a bit, I get 3.5 (like measuring the wheel width and diameter). I’m somewhat obsessing about this measurement because the 1977 front end knuckle just barely clears the current wheel. In fact, in an area it looks like it is inside the wheel and would contact if it was a 14 inch wheel (hope that makes sense). So I think I need something with a 3.5 back space. Tires are 32x11.5R15 BFG A/T. I want the same look/stance with the new wheels, so am keeping the same size tire and wheel combination.

I do not want to go to stock steelies because I want the option for smaller (7, 7.5, or 8.125 inch) hubcaps--inspired by attached photo of an ICON Bronco with small caps. I think the Stroppe steel wheels had the inside cap tabs for the smaller caps, and those wheels also have a deeper look to them (less backspace?). I cannot find a new wheel that mimics this, and other wheels that are close do not have the backspace I need. I could do a reverse OE steelie from wheelvintiques and probably get what I’m looking for, but wanted to check with you pros.

I plan to paint (powdercoat?) the wheel to match the white top of my two tone. It’s Ford “Ultra white” and not wimbledon.

1. Am I measuring backspace right, and it is the very outermost edge as the “datum”?
2. Any 15x8 stock steelies with small hubcap tabs out there?
3. Is there a reproduction of the Stroppe steelies?

Thanks for the help guys.

Brett
There was a thread a while back on those icons. Wheels. They are 17" which will help with tie rod clearance but they are pricey aluminum that look like steel from what I remember.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Most of the steelies that were used by Stroppe were 15 x 8s made by Kelsey-Hayes. I'm not exactly sure on the backspacing, but I can check..

Attachments

• Buster Miles Ford Show 2015 108.jpg
    Buster Miles Ford Show 2015 108.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Buster Miles Ford Show 2015 107.jpg
    Buster Miles Ford Show 2015 107.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 176

Unknown

Contributor
I ended up going with Wheel Vintiques from Summit Racing. They are 15x8 with 33's. No plans to run caps but later model dog dish may fit.

I have seen some steel wheels on EB's with the inside tabs for smaller caps but to me that tab style looks off and more suited for the 50's trucks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-62-585504/overview/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have those Wheel Vintiques as well. The hubcaps do not fit. Really nice wheels though.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dog dish. I have some Galaxy "poverty" caps I wanted to use. Nicely restored, fronts cut out and alas, couldn't use them. Retaining bumps on wheels too wide.

C_Man69EB

My original set of Stroppe steel wheels are currently loose with no tires mounted. If you need photos or measurements, let me know.

They are not for sale, though.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It would be nice to have a good set of Stroppe wheel pictures for reference.

C_Man69EB

Stroppe Wheels and research

I had researched the Stroppe wheels a few years ago. I gathered the following.

- 15 x 8, wider than standard bronco wheels.
- Stockton doesn't make them anymore. They were called "Henry" Wheels.
- Andrew Norton has been known to source reproductions, however.
- the original wheels will NOT clear disc brakes
- Andrews reproductions are supposed to clear disc brakes
- With respect to Stroppe config, wheels could have been chrome, wimbeldon white, blue or black.

Cullen

Attachments

• Stroppe Wheel.jpg
    Stroppe Wheel.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 114
  • SET OF 5 STROPPE WHEELS IN BLACK.jpg
    SET OF 5 STROPPE WHEELS IN BLACK.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Stockton Henry.jpg
    Stockton Henry.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 108
  • STROPPE VS HENRY.jpg
    STROPPE VS HENRY.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Slot Differences Stroppe vs OE Bronco.jpg
    Slot Differences Stroppe vs OE Bronco.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 109

C_Man69EB

Hey CMan, happen to look at wheel changes for Stroppe model years ? Thanks

hey bama,

no... I wasnt able to determine that. I had a few conversations with andrew, I dont recall him mentioning it either on the steel wheels, but nothing would surprise me.

obviously going from steel to the optional mags was a change in 73..