• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck door :(

Rachel

Hey guys! I'm pretty new here and new to my Bronco. The driver side door seems to never want to shut right. The other day I had to body slam it (I'm pretty tiny) and it still had a gap, but was "closed". (I also made a decent little dent in the door doing this that I hope will pop out).

Anyways, now I can't get the damn thing open. I've tried from inside and outside. I've tried pushing the door in while pushing the "button" on the handle, I've tried holding up the handle inside and putting all my strength into it. It won't budge.

I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened and am just looking for some advice!

Thanks in advance!

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
Sounds like you'll need to pull the door apart to manually release the door latch. That should get the door open, however, it sounds like you have some alignment and/or linkage adjustments that need to be addressed. By adjusting the hinges and the linkages form the handle, lock, and door striker, you should be able to get it operating like new. Welcome to the site and good luck with the door.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I just went through this and had to take off the interior door panel, not easy with the driver's seat in the way. Then the rods that open the latch need to be shortened by taking the clip off the far end and turning them in another turn or two. Once the door is open, see what's not allowing it to close completely.

JT3357

Make sure your seatbelt buckle isn't stuck between the inner door panel and the vertical panel under the drivers seat. That will make it tough to close and dent the inner panel. :cry:

kancox

jim is right,to do this you need to remove the inner door panel.to do this you need to remove the window crank with a phillips screwdriver,then the armrest which is 3 screws inset in the lower portion of armrest.these could be phillips head,straight head screws or hex head around 3/8. then remove interior latch handle,normally 2 11/32 nuts,then remove interior door panel.this could be as simple as removing the visable screws or having to pry out the spring clips,depending on which door panels you have. this gives you access to where you are probably going to find a door latch rod has come unhooked.the door latch rods have a replacable retainer clip that is notorious for wearing out.clean the inner and outer latch with a can of brake cleaner and then spray lube. and if this doesn't work get on the inside and bodyslam the sucker lol good luck

70_Steve

Old Guy
Hi Rachel! Not sure where these guys manners are but...

Welcome to Classic Bronco's and congratulations on the new-to-you Bronco. I know we'd all like to see some pics of your new Bronco.

After owning my Bronco for 18-19 years, I just had this happen out on the trail during a recent trip to Moab. The door wouldn't open from the inside or the outside without quite a bit of "manipulation", including a couple body slams from inside, trying to get out!!! Very frustrating!!!

I did have to take the door panel off, but didn't think the linkages should need adjusting, since I've had it so long without a problem. A couple of jiggles of the linkages confirmed that it was just a gummed up door latch mechanism. A few squirts of WD-40 and it was good as new. It's now on my "list" to remove and clean both door latches.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yea you can't butt bump Bronco doors there's no safety beam back there like newer cars. The typical butt bumped door dent will usually pop right back out with a push from the inside. You have to firmly close the door by the handle giving a straight on Ninja shove. Constant slamming the door will break the welds on the window frames. So best not manipulate the doors by the window frames. If the straight on firm approach to the door handle is extremely difficult you may be having issues with door alignment or gasket issues. Check to see if the door has to lift up when you actually close the door. If so the hinges may need adjusting. If you need outside help with this issue you should seek services by people who know Broncos. Door and gasket alignment is very finicky with these trucks.

OP
OP
Rachel

Rachel

Thanks for all the help!

I have no seatbelts or armrests to get in the way! So 2 obstacles down! ha ha.
And yes, no butting against the doors- I have no learned my lesson. I can't butt bump it as I'm 5' 1.5" and it's a tad on the high side!

I'll try to take it apart this weekend or next and see what I can figure out. I'll definitely pop the dent while the panel is off!

Thank you for the welcome and I'll post some pics soon :)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I pulled a similar dent out of one of my doors with the suction cup from my Garmin. Just lick it, stick it, and pull! :-* Good luck and welcome to the Best Classic Bronco Site in the world! :cool:

jlong1974

jimschulz touched on it in his post above mentioning alignment. I had a similar issue with my passenger side door for a long time it would intermittently not close without multiple slamming, but bumping etc. and or not open again. I must have taken the door apart half a dozen times, as well as readjusting the striker and latch. I would work for a while and then back to the same old thing, until I replaced the old worn out body bushings. The old bushings allowed the body to sag just enough to put the door and latch into a bind. I haven’t had an issue since.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Welcome aboard from the old man on board . And I too have discovered that if I give mine a shot of Double D 40 about twice a year .. My Doors do work much better but if yours are stuck.
... I'll get the panel off 1st and then spray it down with any thing you can find. Having a friend to help you push and shove .. Even one of you laying inside togging on the rods may help slightly to get it to turn loose.
... Once you get it loose you should be able to lube it up & your good to go until the next dust storm.
... Pictures please.