• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

surf racks for soft tops

tgolub1

Hello to all I am a new owner of a 1972 sport that came with a best top soft top, I do a lot of beach driving to surf spots and need a way to carry the boards outside of the truck with out recking the top. there are so many jeep options but I have yet to read about anything for our trucks. anybody have a solution for me ? thanks in advance

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Hey buddy - Welcome to the club! I personally don't think you are going to find much in the way of roof racks with a soft top like Best Top. Simply because the frames aren't rigid enough or designed with this in mind. They were designed to lay down quickly, etc.

There is a solution, however. Check out BC Broncos soft top. They also sell a roof rack option. It's a great top. I'm running one on my rig.

Good luck.

Dale

romerdoug

Welcome! I have been looking for something that would work for a kayak but have come up empty handed. I have a rampage top and can't find anything, as was said, they aren't made to support anything like what we would need. I am planning to fabricate one as soon as life slows down a bit. I will post the build as soon as I get to start on it. I have the metal ready to go. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be at least a month before I get time.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you don't use the BC Broncos top, then the only other way is an exo-frame type rack that goes around and over like the pickup truck ladder racks for use with a topper, but it would need to be custom made.

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I just got a soft top, rampage, and I have an idea that I'm going to see if it will work.... It's months away but I plan on being able to utilize the Yakima style Bike racks or cross bars in the design.... We shall see!

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I would think you could fab a windshield type light bar for the front and a hitch receiver type vertical T bar for the rear with a slip style hitch pin to pull apart. I know Mad,from Hawaii has posted pics of his ladder rack and I believe it was built similar to what I said.