• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suspension lift question for an uncut 74

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Hi guys - I want to put 31" tires on my 74 EB and would like them to fit under without rubbing new uncut quarters. can someone recommend a suspension lift size and kit? Was thinking a James Duff 3.5" SL should do it without a body lift. Planning to use stock 15x8 ford wheels. Going for a factory look with skinny (but aggressive tread) tires. Will be street only, no real offloading.

Appreciate any suggestions, photos, advice.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
3.5"SL will work fine. 2.5"SL + 1"BL might be the way to go to avoid some drivetrain issues/extra modifications that are needed with a 3.5" lift. Plus the 1" BL makes working on certain things a good bit easier, and paves the way for future tranny mods swaps, etc.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It just depends on the backspacing of the wheels.

I've installed 265x70x17s (bigger than 31x10.50) with a 2 1/2" WH lift. The wheels are 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing.

Very top of tire is actually inside rear uncut fender, but does not touch at all.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Thanks guys. If I do a 1" BL, will I need to adjust anything to account for the body lift (I.e will ther be a gap by the bumpers and do I need a new fan shroud,etc). I have read that body lifts require other modifications like longer linkages and parking brake cables.

Looking for the simplest ( but right way) solution.

darcytribe

ericbee

2 1/2 inch suspension lift, NO body lift. I fit 33" 10.5 tires with no rubbing and you cannot go any bigger, trust me.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
My 66' has 265/75/16's on stock steel wheels and stock suspension. It does rub but I'd say a 1" body lift would clear for street use, if you planned to use it on trails a 2.5" lift would probably be fine.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. If I do a 1" BL, will I need to adjust anything to account for the body lift (I.e will ther be a gap by the bumpers and do I need a new fan shroud,etc). I have read that body lifts require other modifications like longer linkages and parking brake cables.

Looking for the simplest ( but right way) solution.

For a 1" BL you should only need an extended/longer clutch rod and perhaps adjust the fan shroud. There will be a small gap at the bumpers, but it isn't very noticeable.

Here is some good info on a 1" BL.

You'll need an extended parking brake cable if you put 2.5" of lift on it. You won't need it with just a 1" BL.

I think you've gotten good advice above on what is required to fit the 31s. Now you just have to decide on what look you want, or which will best fit your needs. If I wanted 31s, I'd go 2.5"SL+1"BL. Or just do the 2.5"SL now and can do a body lift easily in the future if needed/wanted.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
3.5"SL will work fine. 2.5"SL + 1"BL might be the way to go to avoid some drivetrain issues/extra modifications that are needed with a 3.5" lift. Plus the 1" BL makes working on certain things a good bit easier, and paves the way for future tranny mods swaps, etc.

X2 on the 2 1/2 plus 1. A 1 inch gap on the bumpers is not noticeable. Only thing I had to with a 1" BL is adjust the auto tranny linkage. My radiator shroud worked with no adjustment.

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Measuring suspension lift.

When deciding on lift height, I found the following very helpful. The stock ride height is when the top of your axle is seven inches from the bottom of the frame. For example, a 3.5 inch suspension lift would create a distance that is 10.5 inches between the top of axle and bottom of frame. When deciding what lift you want make sure to measure your current distance and decide from there. You may have some sag or a little lift.