• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swallowing my pride, asking for help

Dawg_enD

Hi guys,

9 years ago, roughly, I started my Bronco project. Pull the 302 and C4, put in an Explorer 5.0 and a built 4R70w. Everyone said it's doable. Easy almost. No one reminded me that I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Not that it's anyone's responsibility to save me from myself...

Anyway, a couple months later I had the chassis rewired and, thanks to trading the stock motor and trans, the Explorer motor and trans were in. The rest should be easy, right?

Two years later the Bronco had been pretty much untouched. I swallowed my pride and found a shop that said they could finish it up for me. It was February, they said they could have it done by July. I mentally predicted August, maybe September.

Last year in March the shop told me they weren't going to finish it and dropped it off, with little actual work done.

When I started this project I was married to a woman who travelled a lot, and I had free time. I'm now re-married and have a 2 and 4 year old. I haven't turned a wrench on anything with 4 wheels in the better part of a decade. I am so freaking lost on this project that I don't really even know where to begin. The only thing I've managed to do is have the computer re-programmed by GVance. Mind you, that's great... but I know I won't get it on the road without help.

So, I'm asking you all. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Olympia area that would be willing to work on this? Barring that, is anyone willing to pop by and maybe help me take stock / get my head in the game so I can start on it?

Regardless of your answers, please be gentle. It hurts a bit to (face the truth) write this.

Thank you,

-Mike
(Olympia, WA)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Sadly this is a command situation with our Broncos. .
.. I'm not from your area so I have no clue. But I have been on this board for maybe 10 + years .. & I'VE SEEN THIS POST Many times.
.. My advise is to pick one issue for a shop to fix. Techs are tough to deal with .. So don't give them too much to do at one time ..
... It's one leg at a time into your britches.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I live up in Sequim Washington and just about to start the same project. I would be glad to help if I can.
If Badmuttstang can point you in the right direction that would be great to. Just let us know.

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
You could drop it off down here at All for fun offroad (Bronco Bob). Its about 3 hours away but at least you will have it at a place that knows Bronco's inside and out. They did quite a bit of work on mine and they did a good job.

http://www.broncobob.com/

Also shop labor is probably way cheaper down here so its probably worth the trip.

OP
OP
D

Dawg_enD

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. All For Fun might not be a bad way to go for me, actually. My wife is opening a clothing shop in Salem and her family lives in Monmouth. I like that they specialize in Broncos and the drive isn't too bad since we already go down there.

Thank you all again!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Sorry I just saw this.

Mike, feel free to pass my number on to whoever will be doing your swap. I don't mind answering any questions they may have.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 on at least talking to Bronco Bob since you're going to be in the area. While I can think of several other places closer to you, Bob has a lot of EB specific knowledge and resources since your situation is a bit less conventional than most Ford dealerships or independent mechanics are going to be used to dealing with IMO.

OP
OP
D

Dawg_enD

:)
Sorry I just saw this.

Mike, feel free to pass my number on to whoever will be doing your swap. I don't mind answering any questions they may have.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that!

And I agree, Apogee. Bronco specific knowledge goes a long way with me. It means I don't have to pay shop rate for (as much!) research.