• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T10 4sp work?

Mike Hall

Loc.
Albany
I had bought a 66 GT mustang fastback project a while back which came with a T10 4 sp. Would the be a good trans for a bronco? Not planning on rock crawling or anything.

Mike

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Mike Hall said:
I had bought a 66 GT mustang fastback project a while back which came with a T10 4 sp. Would the be a good trans for a bronco? Not planning on rock crawling or anything.

Mike

I would not use it. Not strong enough for the torque that the Bronco drivetrain will throw at it.
Also I doubt there is an adapter to use it with the D20 T case. If there is Advance Adapters would have it.
The gear ratios are probably all wrong for your truck. Its a car transmission and the Bronco is a truck.
Probably with a mint. Sell it on Ebay and use the coin to get a proper 4 or 5 speed transmission for the Bronco

My nickels worth

TOFIC

CrazyHorse70

Loc.
Austin
I could be wrong, but I think the Stroppe Broncos that were 4 speeds used the T-10. Years ago Advance Adapters made a kit for it, don't know if they still do. The Ford T&C "toploader" 4-sp. is a stronger trans. and come in 2.78:1 first gear on the wide ratio version. I think the close ratio version is 2.30:1, but knot sure.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
The T-10 is not necessarily a weak transmission, it's just a better transmission in a muscle car since it has about a 2.30:1 first gear. There's a lot more transmission choices out there today so don't be scared to look around for another tranny.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Standard top loader ratio is 2.32. In the early 70's before Doug Nash started making them we used to weld the 278 low gear on the close ratio cluster for my NHRA E/Stock 427 67 Fairlane 4 door wagon. There are also big & small input shaft toploaders. I used to ring the input shafts off with a super T10 in my 427 powered 57 ford all the time.