• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate "anti-theft" "finger" install

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I notice on many resto's that the "finger" that mounts to the tailgate and keeps the tailgate from opening while the full cap is locked is not been re-installed. Is that because the new tailgates are not made with the mounting holes-nuts?
What do you do for security with out it?
Thanks

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The anti theft post has more than one function. It stops the tailgate from opening when the lift gate is closed. It's also the lateral stabilizer that holds the lift gate in the same position relative to the tailgate. Without it the lift gate rattles side wise wearing out the strikes. In the '60s the EBs had 2 anti theft posts that didn't do this. Ford learned from this mistake and designed the single post to fit into a tight slot. So keep the late post or drive a rattle trap.

Spaggyroe

My tailgate is a Dennis Carpenter.

It has two dimples in it which I assume mark the location for the mounting bolts. They look like they're in the right place anyhow, and I don't know what else they'd be for.

Long story short, there are no threads in my aftermarket tailgate for the anti-theft post.

It would be easy to add with some riv-nuts though.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Just look at this photo;https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/67-77-ford-bronco-tailgate-anti-theft-post-kit. You can see there is plate that goes into the tail gate that's got 2 threaded holes. It's a loose part that has to be held on the inside surface till the bolts are started.

And to get to it, you have to take the TG latch loose, 6 bolts, and then move it out of the way to gain access. The holes in the tailgate are a little bigger than needed so there is room for adjustment.

I used a magnet on a flex handle to hold it in place with the tailgate down...

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The new gate I have has no dimple indicators...

chuckyb

Contributor
The anti theft post has more than one function. It stops the tailgate from opening when the lift gate is closed. It's also the lateral stabilizer that holds the lift gate in the same position relative to the tailgate. Without it the lift gate rattles side wise wearing out the strikes. In the '60s the EBs had 2 anti theft posts that didn't do this. Ford learned from this mistake and designed the single post to fit into a tight slot. So keep the late post or drive a rattle trap.

Not sure I entirely agree with the statement about the two post design, which I have in place on my 68. When the liftgate is closed and latched, it presses against the two posts, which serves to provide tension on the liftgate and keep it in place, thereby reducing rattles. I drove around some prior to installing the posts, and the difference was immediately noticeable.

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think the side rubber "locaters" keep the top from lateral movement too....

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The early 2 post design on my '68 moved laterally with only friction to slow it. In short order they wore 2 big notches in the weather seal. The latch bolts also wore the holes in the strike plates that were impossible to replace at the time. The single post is mechanically held in place. It's definitely an improvement. Disagree all you want.