• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate latch installation help

Tulsa76bronco

So I have everything back on but the latch. I do not have the inside panel of the tail gate off as it is line x buy the PO and in good shape. Is it possible to get the latch on without taking off the back panel...... I hope so. Has anyone done this or am I going to have to take off the panel. Problem I am having is every time I try to push the latch on the bolt the bolt keeps sliding up and it seems like it isn't aligned enough to slide up

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Guess it would be the inside of the tailgate. Is that not a panel that comes off? To get to the inside

KBUCK1

not unless its been modified in some way. I wish you had pics. Im not really sure I understand the issue. wish I could help

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

More

These are always upside down when I load on iPad but they open right side up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

I cannot get the latch handle back on because there is nothing to put pressure against the bolt to hold it down while trying to get the handle slid up. Any suggestions

KBUCK1

I think you have to take the four screws and put everything together then mount it last. cant remember for sure. Ill go take a look. you cant tighten the nut to pull the handle up?

KBUCK1

the bolt should come through from the back of the plate and should only be protruding through enough to get the nut on there. the bushing should be on the back side. It looks like in your picture thats not the case but its hard to tell

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Makes sense maybe I need to take it all off and put it all together to get the Handel on proper then put it on as a unit. everything is on correctly now I have the diagram to help so I will try what u suggest