• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Taking the Dash apart for paint

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Anyone have tips for me to remove the ignition from the dash?

I am getting ready for final paint and this is the last part I need to break down. I got everything out or off of the dash except the lighter, ignition, and gas tank switch.
I have heard the ignition can be the worst to take out.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Ignition is harder to go back in then to come out.

Disconnect everything from the back.
Put the key in put a needle in the little hole at the bottom and turn past acc and pull out for the lock cyl.
Then push the ignition on the back in and turn (forget which way) and it will pop apart.

Going back in can be a pain as its tough to get enough pressure to get it back in if the dash is already mounted. What I figured out was to use a socket on the back so you can get your whole palm on it to get good pressure, otherwise it kinda hurts to stab your had with the acc stud.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Ignition is harder to go back in then to come out.

Disconnect everything from the back.
Put the key in put a needle in the little hole at the bottom and turn past acc and pull out for the lock cyl.
Then push the ignition on the back in and turn (forget which way) and it will pop apart.

Going back in can be a pain as its tough to get enough pressure to get it back in if the dash is already mounted. What I figured out was to use a socket on the back so you can get your whole palm on it to get good pressure, otherwise it kinda hurts to stab your had with the acc stud.

A little blood helps the keep the nut from backing off. Don't be such a wuss!:-*

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
THE KEY SUCKS!!! to put back in.. that was the very first thing i did to my truck. P/O gave me a dodge key. it worked but didnt want dodge on my keys.

the secret to getting it back in is to push as hard as you can and dont stop until its in hahahaha

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks Guys. Just what I needed.

I can’t wait to get color on this thing so I can start the assembly. Every single piece of this truck was restored over the winter and is ready to go back on.
My media blasting cabinet was worth every penny and then some. I was even able to blast plastic and rubber parts to make them look like new parts.