• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TBI EFI debate

galen1970b

TBI Fuel Injection comparison.

I’ve decided to install some sort of fuel injection system on my 77 EB with a pretty much stock 302.
I have been pouring over various “builds” to see which one would better fit my application and wallet.
Of course I thought about wiring a mustang/explorer EFI setup…but to be honest I think cost wise things would not be much cheaper…and I like the classic carb’ed look.
I looked at all 4 of the major kits out there. The one I’m leaning towards thus far is Holley’s Terminator EFI and here is why.
I am only comparing the base kits…i.e. kits minus fuel systems….after looking at all the fuel systems the various manufactures have to offer….no matter what. You can build a return style/in-tank pump system much cheaper…like 3-400 dollars cheaper than what the kits cost….using better parts.
I’ve read many hundreds of views concerning these units and the gist I get is they all do the same thing performance wise…nothing really stands out. And from all the Nay Sayers out there it looks like there’s a crap ton of people with wild engine combos expecting a system designed for mostly stock/mild carb’ed motors to instantly run perfectly with little to no tweaking…I think they had too high expectations.
So the kits I was looking at were MSD’s Atomic EFI, FAST EZ 2.0, Holley Terminator EFI, and Edelbrock’s E-Street EFI.

So for starters the Edelbrock unit was out of the running right out of the gate (same for EZ EFI 1.0). This unit cannot control ignition timing which for me is key for a daily drivability….sucks too….because I think out of all the them the interface for the system(7” blue tooth tablet..) is the best on of them all.

FAST EZ EFI 2.0
COST: Approximately $2296
I like the look of the unit and completeness of this kit as well as it has the better interface than the other 2 that are left. What put me off was the higher cost and the fact to take advantage of the timing control you need to use their proprietary (and expensive) dual sync distributor…..you could also use a MSD type distributor but the instructions require an ignition box as well….thus further increasing cost (If installing from a stock setup.) with the Dizzy + phase able rotor and box you will add over 600 bucks easy to this set which tips this unit over the wallet limit. If you already have an MSD Pro-Billet Dizzy with an ignition box this kit is a strong candidate. For my setup it would be cost prohibitive.

MSD Atomic EFI:
COST Approximately $2125
I was on the verge of picking this unit up honestly what really got me was that Atomic is giving out a free 6A ignition module with every kit at the time I’m writing this. I like the look and the price is in the middle of the rest and there are virtually no extra sensors required to hook up (fuel pressure). Problem again with this is having to purchase a new dizzy to interface properly with timing control circuit so for a MSD 8579 Pro-Billet plus the phase able rotor tacks on an additional 330-350 bucks. Compared to the rest of the 4 the interface on these is least favorable amongst the rest.

Holley Terminator
COST: Approximately $2060
This is where I’m leaning. One it’s the least expensive unit and it can plug right into your FORD TFI dizzy with a simple adapter harness without the need to wire in an aftermarket ignition box. I have a TFI Dizzy lying around and I’m sure one could pick up one in up decent shape at pick n pull or a reman’d one at your local auto parts store. The interface is not as cool as the EZ efi….but more polished than the Atomic. My only real observation was it does not come with a fuel pressure sensor. It comes with the connection on the harness…and the instructions say it is'nt required….I just don’t like basically getting an incomplete kit…as minor as this omission is the low price and easy adaptability for timing control has won me over thus far.

I planned out a fuel system using decent fuelab filters and regulator, plus stainless braided fuel hose with applicable -6 AN fittings and an AEM in-tank 320 lph pump kit for approximately 450 dollars. I’m absolutely sure I could build the same kit with cheaper parts that would get the Job done for less than 350….but that Billet Fuelab 82801-1 10 micron filter assembly is sexy….

krashnpa

Loc.
Mounted Joy, PA
TBI Fuel Injection comparison.

Holley Terminator
COST: Approximately $2060
This is where I’m leaning. One it’s the least expensive unit and it can plug right into your FORD TFI dizzy with a simple adapter harness without the need to wire in an aftermarket ignition box. I have a TFI Dizzy lying around and I’m sure one could pick up one in up decent shape at pick n pull or a reman’d one at your local auto parts store. The interface is not as cool as the EZ efi….but more polished than the Atomic. My only real observation was it does not come with a fuel pressure sensor. It comes with the connection on the harness…and the instructions say it is'nt required….I just don’t like basically getting an incomplete kit…as minor as this omission is the low price and easy adaptability for timing control has won me over thus far.

I did the same comparison when I was trying to decide what EFI to use. Went with the same one you're leaning towards and have been happy with it. I was leaning towards the FAST system too; I liked the interface, but I don't ever use the handheld for the Terminator. I have it stashed in the glovebox along with my WBO2 gauge.

With the Holley FP regulator, you're right, you can put the sensor in there or a gauge. I had a gauge, but I couldn't see what my FP was doing when I was getting on it, so I bought the sensor to monitor/datalog. I use the Holley software; it's pretty user-friendly IMHO. I also like the fact the Holley system controls timing, tho others also do that (except the Edelbrock, I think) as well. I use a summit billet distributor (made by Mallory) with Dynamod TFI (I originally started with a mustang injection system) and a Mallory coil. I originally had an MSD coil and it was broke out of the box -that gave me all kinds of fit trying to figure out WTH was going on with this brand new EFI system.

As far as fuel systems, I run a return system with an external pump, a 30 micron filter (before pump), a 10 micron filter (after pump) and a 23 gallon aftermarket tank. I can say I will be switching to an in-tank pump, most likely the Aeromotive Phantom. When fuel gets low (1/8 tank), it sloshes around too much to pick up and she runs out of fuel.

Did you see this article? http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1403-car-crafts-giant-efi-test/

Anyway, if you have any questions, hit me up, I'll be happy to answer if I can. -Ed

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Did you see this article? [url said:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1403-car-crafts-giant-efi-test/[/url]

Anyway, if you have any questions, hit me up, I'll be happy to answer if I can. -Ed

Yes, I've read that article, It did give some decent basic information.
I was going through all the instruction manuals wiring diagrams....fuel plumbing...comparing pricing for the fuel kits as they applied to broncos.
I figure most people like me would take a look and pick one up not realizing the "other crap" involved with executed a project like this. The fact that the Holley can interface with a basic Ford TFI distributor is a huge plus in my book when it comes down to ease of installation.....when you add the aftermarket dizzys..plus ignition boxes....not only do you have to work out the wiring...but fitting all that electronics under an EB hood can be a pain!!

I have also seen many posts about the GM TBI...and from the general gist...everyone says its a pain in the ass to tune. (plus I dont like installing GM stuff on my Ford....)

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

I installed this kit on a friends and its been great, he has been running it for 6 months and no probs. Easy to install, good instructions, and its less than $1200.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injectio..._Complete_TBI_System_w_Distributor-13-13.html

I have plans in the future for more robust engine upgrades(351/408w) nice thing about these systems is the ECU isn't locked in and can handle larger hp demands/cam changes etc plus the Holley System has provisions to hook up a laptop with their software to get more information/tuneing. So when the time comes...I can just unbolt it and since the wiring is already installed all i would have to do is swap the TB over and re-connect the harness. Input the new motor specs...and it will tune itself from there.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
So, if you are leaning towards Holley with your custom fuel kit, what is your current budgeted cost?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed the E-street 3606 with the fuel system that has the Accumulator/EFI pump in one. ($2300 for everything when I purchased at CJ Pony Parts) 100% Non-invasive to the existing fuel system, (mechanical fuel pump feeds Accumulator) which was a plus for me. This fuel system alone can be added, I would assume, to any t-Body efi.

The included Tablet is a plus and custom tuning can be done if needed.

The E-street was on a very nice 347 with a Comp Cam XE264HR-14 Roller Cam (212, 218 Duration) and AFR Heads. It ran VERY well with NO issues other than having to replace a bad O2 sensor.

I would recommend this system especially for someone who likes the "Carb" look and maybe has an original Bronco so only minor mods are done and can go back to stock easily if desired. Very clean install under the hood.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I am going the MSD route since I am in the build process and because I have to buy a dizzy anyway, I would think staying brand specific for interface and timing control will help greatly in the event of setup and trouble shooting I hope. Will see in less than a year when I get to the point of firing it up for the first time...

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

So, if you are leaning towards Holley with your custom fuel kit, what is your current budgeted cost?

WIth the base kit, AN fittings, Fuelabs Regulator and Filter. AEM 320 lph in-tank kit(with strainer pig-tail...etc) and enough braided stanless steel hose. Its all running me about 2300 total.

I qualified for Jegs Military Discount program....so thats after 13%ish off.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fuelab/083/82801-1/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Fuelab/083/#52503-1-S-G/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/AEM/017/50-1200/10002/-1

When I get back to the states I'll document my install and post it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Check this comparison out...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1403-car-crafts-giant-efi-test/

The Holley computer/controller for their Terminator TB is the exact same controller that they use for the SEFI configuration and is probably one of the most adaptable on the market (well, Megasquirt might have that beat but your learning curve is a bit steeper also).

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Yes, I've read that article, It did give some decent basic information.
I was going through all the instruction manuals wiring diagrams....fuel plumbing...comparing pricing for the fuel kits as they applied to broncos.
I figure most people like me would take a look and pick one up not realizing the "other crap" involved with executed a project like this. The fact that the Holley can interface with a basic Ford TFI distributor is a huge plus in my book when it comes down to ease of installation.....when you add the aftermarket dizzys..plus ignition boxes....not only do you have to work out the wiring...but fitting all that electronics under an EB hood can be a pain!!

I have also seen many posts about the GM TBI...and from the general gist...everyone says its a pain in the ass to tune. (plus I dont like installing GM stuff on my Ford....)

Pretty sure the Holley kit uses GM parts ...

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
Check this comparison out...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1403-car-crafts-giant-efi-test/

The Holley computer/controller for their Terminator TB is the exact same controller that they use for the SEFI configuration and is probably one of the most adaptable on the market (well, Megasquirt might have that beat but your learning curve is a bit steeper also).

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

I love how they claim mpg would rise 2-4mpg and then the carb got pretty much the same mpg as all the efi systems.

krashnpa

Loc.
Mounted Joy, PA
I ended getting an increase in mpg of just under 2 mpg, but then again, that's not why I picked it up, so bonus even if it wasnt anything to get excited about. I would also venture to say it depends on how well the carb is tuned and how you tune the efi as well.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I installed the E-street 3606 with the fuel system that has the Accumulator/EFI pump in one. ($2300 for everything when I purchased at CJ Pony Parts) 100% Non-invasive to the existing fuel system, (mechanical fuel pump feeds Accumulator) which was a plus for me. This fuel system alone can be added, I would assume, to any t-Body efi.

The included Tablet is a plus and custom tuning can be done if needed.

The E-street was on a very nice 347 with a Comp Cam XE264HR-14 Roller Cam (212, 218 Duration) and AFR Heads. It ran VERY well with NO issues other than having to replace a bad O2 sensor.

I would recommend this system especially for someone who likes the "Carb" look and maybe has an original Bronco so only minor mods are done and can go back to stock easily if desired. Very clean install under the hood.

Looked pretty good right up until the point I saw it does not control timing.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Howell is very basic... 'bout the same as the original Pro-Jection I ran back in the early '90's, but at least i could adjust several parameters with the Projection controller mounted under my dash!

TAC71

I have installed quite a few of the MSD systems and liked how they work. The last one I did had some major issues with the ecu.
I did one of the holley systems on a stock 96 351w and it does work well but the handheld programmer is a piece of chit. The other problem I have had with it is the self programming is WAY rich and runs terrible. Using a laptop I can get it right but I have had to shutoff the self tuning because it keeps trying to be very rich. Quite annoying.
Like to hear how it works out for you when you get it done.