• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The best way to get door hinges taken apart?

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

I just bought the door hinge rebuild kit from JBC's and after reading what others had posted (thanks Search button!), it sounds like getting the metal sleave out of the hinges is going to be a chore.
Some got lucky and were able to pound it out with a vise and hammer, some used torches to heat it up. I want to get her out without destroying my door hinge, if possible.

Can anyone tell me what the best way would be?

Thanks!

yak67

Bronco Guru
I soaked mine over night in penetrating oil...and was able to pound them out the next night with a punch and hammer

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Sounds easy enough, but an air hammer worked. I was trying to find a drill press. One out of four was still sloppy....it is always best to have the right tools, at the time, I didnt. Now I am getting the lift off hinges from Wild Child....hopefully soon.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Is it possible to replace the screws that hold the hinges to the body with bolts? The screws are recessed so bolts might hit the door side hinge bolts. Has anyone changed these to bolts?

yak67

Bronco Guru
Bronco Sport said:
Is it possible to replace the screws that hold the hinges to the body with bolts? The screws are recessed so bolts might hit the door side hinge bolts. Has anyone changed these to bolts?
I replaced mine with stainless steel countersunk allen screws. Not the cheapest bolts around, but the allen drive doesn't strip out like the phillips did that I had on previous. They make them in non stainless as well, bet they rust pretty easy.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
yak67 said:
I replaced mine with stainless steel countersunk allen screws. Not the cheapest bolts around, but the allen drive doesn't strip out like the phillips did that I had on previous. They make them in non stainless as well, bet they rust pretty easy.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting the stripped philips out. So I thought when I do I wanted to replaces them with something. How did you get the screws out?

Thanks!