• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thinking about buying my 1st bronco ned a little info

Rob9981

Hey everybody! I just joined yesterday because I am thinking about getting an early bronco. I was looking around yesterday and I got an email back from someone I contacted about one and it has been recently painted, usually that would send up a big red flag. So i am asking anyone on here for a little help and info on things to look for potential bad spots body rot areas ETC anything anyone can think of that I should look at that might make this to good to be true. Thanks

jcpetrson

Rob,

You need to post more information about the vehicle you are considering. Cost, quality, picture, cut fenders, quality of the interior, exterior, roof, new motor, disk brakes, A/C, power steering, etc are all things you need to consider that are either options or addons by previous owners. A new paint job might be a good sign. Depending on where you live, rust could be an issue.

I strongly suggest that you spend a week reading people's views and feedback. Some people want daily drivers and others want the baddest rock crawler possible. The usage of this vehicle are endless.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
What year is it and what can you tell us about it? Stock or modified? Price?

They typically rust on the floor pans under the dash, the floor behind the rear wheelwells, the front and rear doorposts, the rear of the inner fenders (you can see this when the hood is open), the rocker panels, the windshield frame, interior kick panels beneath the dash, and the frame often rusts near the rear spring hangers.

OP
OP
R

Rob9981

The email said its a "73 no damages, scratches or any known problems, the truck fires up every time runs strong and sounds healthy. The motor has been recently tuned and all fluids changed. The truck was painted on both sides and the top last month, hood was painted with a fresh coat of clear. The bronco has a 302 V8, power steering, dana 44 limited slip, 4" lift kit, edlebroch carb, new 33" 12.5 r15 BFG all terrain tires, 3 speed converted to the floor. The interior floors are line x'd and seriously look brand new. The truck is in a perfect shape and condition." and as for price I'd rather keep that to myself for now. and I haven't gotten any pictures yet

lil bronco

Welcome to the site and I'm still looking myself.

All I can find is hacked up,bondo/bedliner up turds so I keep looking.

OP
OP
R

Rob9981

Thanks lil! thats why I joined and I'm asked the question I don't want to think I'm looking at a good deal when under everything its a lot more work than I originally thought.

SP66

Bronco Guru
restored, modified, resto-modded, upgraded, auto, 3 speed on column, 3 on the floor, half cab, full cab, soft top, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, carburated, EFI, factory interior, upgraded interior, cut, uncut, lifted, how much lift, stocker, lubr, crawler...
66-77, lot's of choices to name a few---if your like me and can't make a decision take your time, read what the guys are writing about, look at picture threads---almost as fun as having a Bronco---then narrow it down and ask for someone here to help you take a look---good luck

Trigger

Always go in to looking at a rig with the thought that it doesn't matter if you get it or not. Desire to get your dream rig can get you in trouble. Most of us could tell you some stories. Make sure to be honest about your abilities to fix up whatever you get. Spending a little more up front can save someone with little mechanical ability a lot of grief in the long run. Don't be afraid to crawl around the vehicle and look at every spot you can. It's always a good idea to take someone else along to have an objective eye, hopefully someone who is mechanically or body work minded. Take lots of pictures so while you are thinking about the purchase you can go back and look through the pictures to answer any questions. If it looks awesome buy it and post pictures! Good luck and welcome to a great place to learn.

OP
OP
R

Rob9981

Thanks Bronco and Trigger. I'll get a buddy of mine to go out with me and take a look. Hopefully I will be posting pictures for y'all to see.:)

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Where are you located? Best suggestion is to find a local bronco guy to look at it with you. Good luck.

jj_jenkins

Rob,
I'm looking at purchasing my first as well. I have been hunting for a while now and for me, the best thing to do is see these things in person. Pictures are far too deceptive. Also, as mentioned before, spend more to get more. It's cheaper to pay more to get it than fix it up yourself.

I think I have found what I'm looking for and will hopefully see it tomorrow. But these guys are right. Be prepared to walk away. Its too expensive to make a mistake. Everyone on this forum is very kind and helpful...listen to them.

OP
OP
R

Rob9981

:mad:Well I am disappointed. I found the vehicle on the internet and after sending a few emails back and forth the bronco is 1500+ miles away so I am pretty sure it is to good to be true. More like a scam because looking into amazon payments it is up to the SELLER to refund money NOT amazon. This is the last email from the guy, "I'm glad to see that you are interested in buying the truck but before we go further with the transaction I need to tell you that I recently got divorced and I got a new job and moved to Des Moines, IA for a new start. I have a very busy schedule here because of my work so I took the truck to a shipping company warehouse here in Des Moines to be sealed and prepared for the shipping. Because I want to sell the truck as soon as possible , I've listed it on several sections on Craigslist so that's why you've saw the truck for sale in your area too. For this transaction my presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Amazon Payments. I want to use Amazon Payments escrow service because I've used it several times in the past and all my transactions ended successfully. The price includes delivery and the truck will arrive to your address in 3 days. Along with the truck you will receive all necessary papers to register it into your name including the free clear title which is already back signed and notarized by me for the transfer. Amazon Payments will take care of everything including the payment and transfer of the papers. Once you receive the truck , you will have 5 days to try out prior to tell Amazon your final decision ( so you are not force to complete the transaction if you don't like the truck ) and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my expense but I assure you this will not be the case because you will love the truck from the first moment.
If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask Amazon Payments to send you an email with more information on how to complete the transaction. Amazon stuff will contact you shortly after they have your details with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that they will handle the transaction for us. If you would like to be contacted by Amazon Payments with all the transaction information please reply with your full name and phone # and they will contact you right away."

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
:mad:Well I am disappointed. I found the vehicle on the internet and after sending a few emails back and forth the bronco is 1500+ miles away so I am pretty sure it is to good to be true. More like a scam because looking into amazon payments it is up to the SELLER to refund money NOT amazon. This is the last email from the guy, "I'm glad to see that you are interested in buying the truck but before we go further with the transaction I need to tell you that I recently got divorced and I got a new job and moved to Des Moines, IA for a new start. I have a very busy schedule here because of my work so I took the truck to a shipping company warehouse here in Des Moines to be sealed and prepared for the shipping. Because I want to sell the truck as soon as possible , I've listed it on several sections on Craigslist so that's why you've saw the truck for sale in your area too. For this transaction my presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Amazon Payments. I want to use Amazon Payments escrow service because I've used it several times in the past and all my transactions ended successfully. The price includes delivery and the truck will arrive to your address in 3 days. Along with the truck you will receive all necessary papers to register it into your name including the free clear title which is already back signed and notarized by me for the transfer. Amazon Payments will take care of everything including the payment and transfer of the papers. Once you receive the truck , you will have 5 days to try out prior to tell Amazon your final decision ( so you are not force to complete the transaction if you don't like the truck ) and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my expense but I assure you this will not be the case because you will love the truck from the first moment.
If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask Amazon Payments to send you an email with more information on how to complete the transaction. Amazon stuff will contact you shortly after they have your details with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that they will handle the transaction for us. If you would like to be contacted by Amazon Payments with all the transaction information please reply with your full name and phone # and they will contact you right away."

Definate scam. I have seen this language before. Keep looking and I would suggest you look in the classifieds here. Some great people and trucks here.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Rob. Walk.....away.

Don't ever....ever....ever buy a truck unless somebody here or you yourself have seen it and the title in person.

Good luck.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yea that scam has been around for awhile now.....Next you be need'n warned about Broncosbybama and his many other AKA's....best know around here a "socks-n-sandals"....

OP
OP
R

Rob9981

exactly! everyone on here has given good info so thanks massbronco and fatboy and about your quote i think if i made this bad decision it really wouldn't make for a good story lol. so I'm going to keep looking again anyone know of some good places around the Los angeles area?

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Rob I would suggest you back up a step and think about what you do want, what you don't want and what you absolutely need in your perfect bronco. Also put down on paper your serious budget. As you do this, ask questions until you get a clear picture of what you can afford. I have had 5 broncos since 2002 or so and none of them were what I really wanted. I am now building what I want based on years of looking and asking questions and driving a few set up this way. Take your time, it will be quicker in the short run, and likely cheaper.

Sabas

Rob there are a few bronco guys in LA and OC. What I did before I got my bronco was go to fabulous fords and talk to the bronco guys and check the rigs ask a lot of questions.

Sabas