• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Three Speed Manual Sticking in Gear!!

Bhall75

Loc.
Atlanta
I have a 1977 with three on the tree. It shifts fine but will get stuck in third gear sometimes. When this happens I have to pull over and go under the hood and push the linkage up and down until it moves. After this it will shift again. The cycle repeats. I have sprayed WD-40 on all the external linkage but the problem has not stopped. Could this be a problem in the column? Where should I look?

Thanks,

Bhall75

VT_Don

The linkage is likely worn and/or out of adjustment. Not uncommon. Get a Helm manual, and do some research. It's been discussed to death.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I fought this same problem for months and eventually just went to a floor shifter. You can buy new bushings for the arms on both the column levers and the transmission levers. Helped a little, but still wasn't perfect. There's a technique for adjusting the linkage in a Chiltons or Hanes manual for the specific years. It also helped a little, but I would still get hung up at times. I love the floor shifter much better.