• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Three Speed Manual stuck in 2nd gear.

Calvengeance

Loc.
Schofield Barracks
My transmission got stuck in second on Monday. I looked around on here and figured out how to adjust the shifter linkage to free up the shifter.

What is wrong with the transmission if the shifter arm won't move from second? Even if I have the engine running and let a bit of rotation get to the wheels I can't pull it out of second.

How should I proceed?

Thanks a ton.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sounds like you need to start by isolating the problem, is it the tranny or steering column shifter giving you fits? I'd disconecct the shifter arms from the tranny and see if i could manually shift it using only yhte tranny shift arms. If yo can, then it's the steering column shifter assembly

OP
OP
C

Calvengeance

Loc.
Schofield Barracks
I can't shift the transmission using the shift arms. I think the linkage is fine. Even with a lot of pressure I can't get the shift arms to budge.

What's my next step?

Bulletman

Did you unhook the linkage at the transmission and still can't shift it?, this would isolate the problem to the shifter column or to the transmission. I have no idea what/how the inside of the transmission works so cannot advise there. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Calvengeance

Loc.
Schofield Barracks
Haha thanks.

I had the shift arms free hanging and tried moving the 2-3 shift arm from the 2 position to the neutral position but it would not move.

JLBachs

Sometimes if the linkage is starting to get a little out of adjustment it can try to go into two gears at one time and bind it up - longshot but you might try wiggling the 1-R arm to make sure it's in neutral then go back to wiggling the 2-3. Really though, what yours is doing sounds like what my first trans did when the bearing between the input and main shaft got too loose.

JLBachs

you'll have to decide whether you want to fix that one or get another - If that bearing is gone then that synchro won't look too hot either - when you have support like we have with these Broncos, getting an overhaul kit is no sweat and the price isn't too bad. Example - JBG's kit is $119 and if you get their emails they are having a 10% off deal until Christmas. Then it's just a matter of looking over the hard parts

OP
OP
C

Calvengeance

Loc.
Schofield Barracks
Just tried wiggling it out to no avail.

Looks like I'll be hunting down a replacement, supposedly one of Fungus' friends on the island may have one.

Otherwise I just got an offer for $500 for all I would need for a NP435 install. :/