• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle shaft bushings? - Motorcraft 2100 carb

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The idle on my '72 has been getting progressively worse and I finally braved the oven I call a garage (AZ in the summer) to dig into it. It looks like the throttle shaft holes are pretty wallowed out. At first I thought my problem was the base plate not sealing, because a shot of carb cleaner near the base while running would kick up the idle speed. But with a bit more testing it looks like the leak is at the throttle shaft.

So has anyone had luck with the throttle shaft bushings? Seems pretty straight forward; drill out the shaft holes then press in the bushings. But I'm a little concerned with getting them in perfectly straight. Also, is this a long term fix or just a short term band-aid?

Thanks!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I haven't done a 2100 but have done a couple of q-jets. Worked great. I bought a kit that included the bit and a guide and it is easy. Lemme see if I can find the kit I bought.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The Ford 2100-2150-4100s are basically the same as Holley 2 and 4 bbls in that the shafts are about 3/8" diameter. Oddly the 2100 and 4100 primary shafts are 0.372" diameter. I'm not sure if 0.003" more clearance would be a problem. The 4100 secondary shafts are 0.375" or exactly 3/8". I do see bronze bushings as longer lasting than the original aluminum throttle shaft bores. When searching for throttle shaft repair kits you'll find a majority are made for Q-junks that seem to need this repair more often than other carburetors.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I think I'll talk to them too. The cost of a reamer for one use, it makes sense to let someone who's done it a few times, do mine.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
http://www.rodscarburetors.com/

Its been a while since I have had any work done here. They repaired the shafts a used Weber 2bbl for me and the work was ok.
Thanks. I've used Rod's in the past too. But I tried calling them several times today and the phone just rang and rang. No answering machine. Hopefully they're still in business.

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
I used Carb Junky's 3/8" bushing kit and reverse reamer with good results. I also purchased sanding reamer because, after reaming the new 3/8" throttle shaft hole, it was slightly too tight for the bushing. You need a large variable hand drill. Use plenty of drill bit oil and take your time.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Rob

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Back when I looked at bushings for a carb they were made of Oilite bronze.

The only thing that would outlast them would be ball, roller or needle bearings.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I ended up taking the carb back to Rod's and they re-bushed the throttle shaft for no charge. :) They had rebuilt the carb, but it had been a few years and I didn't have the receipt. But it still had their metal tag and they didn't hesitate to take care of it, which was nice to see. They also found the accelerator pump diaphragm was leaking, so they replaced that. I was in and out for $12 and the Bronco now runs great!