• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt Column Donor

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
I have the problem with the long and large legs that need to fit in between my seat and steering wheel. I plan on helping myself out with shorter seats and I already have a steering wheel from Tom's. In a little while I'll need to go to junkyards to find an NV4500 and NP241. My question is.... What kind of tilt column would be the easiest to put into my '76? My EB is an automatic also. What kind of troubles might this cause? Thanks.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Just put one in mine
Out of a 78 Ford pickup automatic.
Not quite a bolt in but awful close
TOFIC

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
Latest project came with an after market from Flaming River still in the box. Nice Up grade, but not cheap.

hackyrat

I stuck a 78 ford van auto tilt column in my 76 bronco. Not real hard. Need to take the mounts off the bronco column and put them on the van column in the right position. Did this by putting it together and sliding the column to the position I liked and tack welding the mounting bracket on. The easiest part is the electrical plug fits just right between the two rigs. At least for my 76 bronco. I used a cable from a windstar van for the shifter to the 4R70W tranny. Also used the windstar cable horns on the column and at transmission. Flipped the shifting horn 180 degrees on the tranny and welded the new horn on. A bit of messing around for sure. Had to make some adjustments in the throw of the shifter. This took some time experimenting but seems to work fine and was inexpensive to accomplish.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I too used the late 70's E-series van column with the aformentioned bracket mod. . Pay close attention to the knee clearance problem us long legged guys have . I screwed the pooch on my first choice of positioning and was banging my right knee every time I'd go between the stop and go pedals. I finally moved the stock seat mounting holes back about 2" and left the tilt cocked up a bit , it helped some.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I used one out of an 85 Bronco in my Nephew's rig. Like the previous post said, use the EB bracket and attach it in the right place. The wiring harness just plugged in as far as the turn signals go. The ignition switch on the column had to come out. I hope to cut a hole lower in the firewall later so we can use the column switch.
I have a GM column from a 99 camaro in mine. Same basic
Most aftermarket wiring setups plug right into the column. The only thing I can't use is the wiper swich stuff. The grant adapters for a regular GM column fit fine ( it was originally a air bag column) Pics of this in my gallery.
I am using the key switch on the column on this one. It locks the column and is harder to hotwire.
Tom

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Tilt auto column from a 79 Ford Econoline in my 77 EB w/C4.

Tilt manual column from a 78 Ford Bronco in my 69 EB w/NP435.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
If you get the column from the pickup or bronco take the time to get the wide brake pedal from the wreck and fit it to the Horse. you are fixing in that area anyway and it is another low cost low effort mod with major comfort factors and real bling looking. I get the "I didn't know they put the wide pedal in this year Bronco" all the time.

watch the wiring for the turn signal. If you get the column with the flasher knob on the column you have to make it work and disconnect the one on the dash. wiring is interesting too. none of the diagrams I found worked. I had to make one from mine.

TOFIC