• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire sizing help

stevemus1

Loc.
Phila Burbs
Just want to start by saying I love this site... everyone who helps is great... makes a first time bronco owner's "do-it-yourself" projects that much easier. I got my fenders off no problem today, so thanks to those who gave me advice. GREAT thing too, as I had some rot along the firewall/inner fender junction... nothing a little scraping, rust encapsulating, and seam sealer cant fix!

NEW question: I have 4, H70R15 rotted tires on my uncut, unlifted bronco now. for $$ sake, I am going to wait a year or so to lift it with 33'' BFGs. I have looked a million tire conversion charts and have seen options for p225 70 R15, p235 60 R15, or something like that. I have white off road steel wheels on there now, that are flaking... I wanted to blast them and hit them with White, Durabok, smooth bed liner... to make them last until i get new Mickey thompsons or something...

Does anyone know what exact tire size I should get for those rim with (of the H70r15)

THanks!

nrramse

H70r15 sounds like an older tire measurement. My old owner's manual mentions a G78-15!

The last time I bought a replacement stock sized tire was at Discount, and they recommended p215/75R15.

Newell

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The H is for load rating or ply rating(typically means its a 16 ply of H) 70 is dia or hieght should be about 27.5 in R for radial and 15 for rim size.
It sounds more like you have some heavy trailer tires and more than likely those tires will ride pretty rough but should last a long time. But if they are rotted and you can see cords then I wouldnt drive it on the hiway.

As for your rims it kinda depends on there width most aftermarket rims are at least 8in wide and many are 10in wide If you have 8in rims then your tires should fit or as mentioned stock replacment tires should fit. I would go with a LT tire instead of a P tire as P tires are for passenger cars LT tires are for trucks and a little better for the heavier weight of a truck.
If you dont drive the bronco much I'd hold off and just buy the 33's when you get the money 33's will fit on a stock rig as long as all the fenders are cut.

OP
OP
S

stevemus1

Loc.
Phila Burbs
Great thanks guys... Depending on how long I take to get my darn fuel situtation fixed and rust proofed, I might just get some 33s and lift it maybe 4 in or so... Gonna leave the fenders uncut to try to keep it stock looking except the lift. If not, ill try the p215 or see if there is an 7:14:34 AM of that same size... Thanks again

ol gray mare

Look at a set of the 33X10.50X15. They're availabe from Goodyear in that size and would probably clear the uncut fenders on some 7 or 8 inch wheels. Les Schwab also sells some 33X9.50s. I use the 9.50 size as spares on my Bronco and my 79 F150 because they are the same diameter as my 33X12.5s, but take up much less room. I'm sure the 9.50s would clear the fenders on a LUBER.

Jim

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
HR70-15 is an old sizing method, before they went to the metric sizes with all numbers. (I think the switchover came sometime in the early 1980s.) So those tires you have now are really old. I wouldn't recommend driving on them too much. :eek: My Bronco originally came with G78-15s; others came with L78-15s, but never with radials (the "R" in your size) and never in a 70-series, which was considered a low-profile tire back then.

I've had two sets of 235-75-15s on my uncut, unlifted Bronco. Originally, I had some street-type tread on my stock steel wheels, and I now run BFG All-Terrains in the same size on 15x7 slots.

Haven't done any real off-roading, but I pulled one rear tire up onto a curb to get the rear axle to articulate when I first put them on. There was only about 1/2" or so between the fender and the tire sidewall when I did this. (It should be noted that my wheels only have 3 5/8" backspace to clear the front disc brakes, so that probably affects things as well.)