• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TIRES- What has smoothiest ride?

Jimmy1040

Loc.
Panama City, FL
I'm running Mickey Thompson 12.50x15 MTZ's now. But wanting a better ride. Thinking about BFG a/t. If any better ideas I would like to hear them.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
What about the ride don't you like?
Road noise?
Softness?
What is the size you currently have? (you are missing a number)
What is the max press of your tires and what pressure are you running them at?
Running them at max press is only necessary at max load.
Try running them at 28 psi and see how you like it.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
Goodyear MTR are noticeably smoother, and *much* quieter than BFG MTs I had, even though i went from 33 to 37s. the BFG had low miles so I think its a fair comparison, can't compare worn out tires to new ones.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I went from 33" phantom (formerly the sport king) all terrains to 37" MTR's and they were a lot quieter as well. I was impressed that a much more aggressive tire would be quiter. Great tread design.

OP
OP
Jimmy1040

Jimmy1040

Loc.
Panama City, FL
My Mickey Thompsons Baja MTZ are fairly new approx. 400 miles on them. I dont have to have a real aggresive tire for the terrain here is why I may go to a All Terrian tire.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
That sucks that they are so new and you arent happy with them, I hope you can get trade in value from the place you got them, or get a good resale value out of them.

OP
OP
Jimmy1040

Jimmy1040

Loc.
Panama City, FL
I may be stuck with them. Even if I found someone wanted a set like them that was willing to pay 1/2 what I paid the shipping cost would be terrible.

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
I've always used BFG A/T's on my DD trucks.
They are quiet, handle predictably, wear evenly at proper psi, and don't cost too much.
They are kinda soft, which means grippy and fast wearing for the street.
Then again my right foot weighs A LOT more than my left!!;D
Probably gone through 8-9 sets of them over the years.
I'm kinda a BFG whore...........I use them on my street cars too.

My current set of 315/75R16's are actually starting to crack from old age.......
...I guess its cause I'm driving like an old lady now a days.:-[
I just can't afford the tickets anymore.:-X

Never been a fan of Pro Comp anything.........don't know why, just don't like the brand......

Last edited:

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I have been running the GY-MTR's for about 3 sets, but couldn't get them when I was up for new tires the last time. I finally picked the 35x12.50x15 MT - MTZ"s the last time. They have been a really good tire in the rocks, mud, deep snow, and slickrock. Like most mud tires they really suck on snow pack and ice. I had some problem getting used to the cold tire flat spots in the mornings, 1 or 2 miles. The side walls are stiff compared to MTR's but I came to like that as they are also tuff against rocks. Twenty eight lbs. is just about right for them and they were reasonably quiet when they were new, but like all others, the more you chew them up on the rocks the louder they are. The MT-MTZ"s are lasting longer than the GY-MTR's did for me, but I have too rebalance the MTZ"s more often, but also the rocks are really hard on tires so that is not unusual. I have not run the pro-comps personally, but I have known some that have I have read post's on Colorado4x4.org that have prevented me from considering them. I'll probably buy MT"s the next time.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have had great luck with Nitto Terra Grapplers, BFG A/T's and the ATZ Mickeys. The Mickeys are a little noisier and the Terra's mileage is a little poor, but they are quiet. My experiences with the Procomp A/T's and Extreme A/T's are they do not wear evenly unless you rotate them when you do an oil change otherwise the wear pattern suffers and it happens faster than they should.

TOOL

Loc.
Sparks
I worked at a tire shop for ten years and I would not own bfg's. I like the A/T for more road use.

Dan76

I've been really happy with my MTRs, they are great off road,and ride a TON better then my pro comp Mud terrains did on road.

bronco_72

Loc.
SPRINGFIELD
I am running yokohama's a/t and I love them they are super quiet and get around great. I also really like the terra grapplers and I had a set of bridgestonbe dueller at revos and got a ton of mile out of them. The only tire I have ran and hated was pro comp.

griff72sport

Loc.
pensacola,fl
I had a 74 with bfg all terrains and was very happy with them. Im on my second set of bfg all terrains 315/75/16 on my f250 because I got 60k on my first set.The ride is smooth and quiet as long as you rotate and balance.When I lift my 72 I plan to run bfg a/t s 33x12.50x15 s.Also I'm in pensacola and have basically the same type of terrain as you.

76SPORT

I'm running the ProComp All terrains and have been pleased with them. I read somewhere there is a recall on certain sizes of their tires so you might want to check them out before purchasing.