• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Title Question, have title but not glove box vin, can I register

broncoP

Contributor
I've got a bronco frame and tub with title, title matches frame. I don't have glove box vin or vin sticker on door. Can I still register this, can you get a vin tag when you register it?

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Marti works can punch you a new vin tag for glovebox. I would much rather have a title that matches the frame than one just matches the glovebox door.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the rivets but not sure how to use them. Any hints on the type of rivet tool needed?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Mine had instructions, I think you tap it with a punch and it splits into place. Might have instructions on the website. No rivet tool needed.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
Sounds like you're in pretty good shape if you have the title. For sure the Marti vin plate route would eliminate any questions if you end up needing it inspected for some reason. Seems like you just go down to DMV tho........

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Florida needs to see the VIN on the frame of every Bronco I have tried to register. They could care less if the VIN is in the Glove Box or has VIN Sticker present. "It's too temporary and easily moved or replaced."

I have always had to clean off the VIN on the frame and take it to DMV for "VIN Verification" prior to registration.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Florida needs to see the VIN on the frame of every Bronco I have tried to register. They could care less if the VIN is in the Glove Box or has VIN Sticker present. "It's too temporary and easily moved or replaced."

I have always had to clean off the VIN on the frame and take it to DMV for "VIN Verification" prior to registration.

I've heard of that..and I'm another one of those who is OK with only having the VIN on the frame as long as there is a title to match it; I'll buy the others from Marti. But its also funny how things vary state to state. Here in MD, the VIN on the door jamb or glove box is good enough for the inspector.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You are golden as long as the numbers on the frame match the Title. Any old bronco registered out of state South Carolina DMV requires they put eyes on frames VIN. There are two (rare 3) places on the frame where you will find the VIN stamp. The one in the front is the one that is usually well preserved with oil and grime. A wire wheel does wonders in cleaning it up. Marti report can give you everything you need, especially the tag on the glove box. I plan to do this in the next few weeks.

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
New Mexico DMV called the VIN in the glove box a warranty card and would not even look at it. Also said that they needed two matching VIN's on a vehicle. I did not have the sticker on driver's door post, so the DMV sent me to get a VIN inspection done by the state police. Find out what your state DMV requires before you do anything. This will save you time and hopefully frustration. Also if you have to find your vin on your frame do not use power tools to remove the grime or scale. Some of the numbers and letters are punched in lightly. I would suggest a razor blade and a metal brush. Take your time, you do not want to scrape off a portion of the VIN.

OP
OP
broncoP

broncoP

Contributor
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be contacting Marti reports. I do want the vin in the glove box as well as I cross the border almost daily living on a border town. Don't need an excuse for border agents to rip apart the truck looking for a vin.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
OK just wanted to see the VIN on the inside of the glove box door...............but it doesn't open very far because of the cage........so she let me stick my phone up the the VIN, snap a pic, and then she read the # off of the pic, lol.