• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too tall? UPDATED PHOTOS - 5 1/2 inch wild horses lift on uncut bronco

Too Tall or Just Right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
Installed 5 1/2 inch wild horses suspension lift. 30 inch tires on stock wheels. Too tall? What do you think? If I keep this lift, I will definitely need bigger tires. Will a suspension lift start to sag?

Before
P3020965.JPG

After
P3291064.JPG

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You need to cycle the leaf springs to break them in and to measure the actual finished lift height. When I installed my 3.5" CAGE lift, I did get more lift in the rear than advertised, however not 4". You also need to be careful not to overtighten the shackle bolts or else the spring won't settle down.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Was the gain from the tires and lift? or did you have the tires on it before? 30 in. tires may be 31 on stock wheels, that could be 2-3 inches or more taller than the stock g-h78's, add that to the 5½" lift and you get 7½ to 8½ inch gain.

OP
OP
ghettoct

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
We haven't put the front on yet. We used the jack stands to level it out. Going to try to work on the front end some more this weekend and will post some pictures after.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Almost thought this thread was spam:D

Keep the lift, you'll eventually want it anyway.

Make sure you didn't over tighten the shackle bolts. A lot of people way overtighten those bolts. Everything should move freely. The springs will settle some too. Also keep in mind that the old springs may have been sagging.

OP
OP
ghettoct

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
why did you think it was spam? This is my first thread, so not sure if I did everything right.

The old springs had an add-a-leaf. Not sure how they measured up.

ArmyCOL

Putting the 5.5 inch WH lift on mine. You are a little ahead of me in the install. Until you have it.complete and fully settled with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension you will experience a taller ride height. Should settle once all is together.

OP
OP
ghettoct

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
It is an original 1971 color - Seafoam Green. It's not THE original color though. I think it was originally diamond blue or sky blue color that was painted over with a metallic blue by one of the previous owners. Here is how it looked last June when we got it.

P61101011.JPG

Nice rig! That the original paint?

traction

Loc.
Coarsegold, CA
For reference here is my rig:

I purchased mine recently and the previous owner installed the 5.5 wild horse lift and 2 inch body lift. I have 33 inch procomp xterrains on it right now and this is how it sits.
2gx36lk.jpg

tortuga

It kind of looks like the jack stands are towards the middle of the frame, might be front heavy? Sure looks odd from what you described.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
with 5.5 and 37, how do you get in and out? Not sure my knees can take it. Tried getting in tonight. Got in fine. Trouble was getting out.

Grab the cage and pull with one leg inside. I an not a youngster I will be 50 soon. 6'2" 300lb

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a 5.5" WH lift and love it. I was originally going to run 35's or 37's, but I replaced my rear quarters (due to rust) and now I can run 33's and uncut. A 5.5" lift will give you a lot of options and will love it how ever you decide to run it - uncut with 33's or cut and 35's-37's or like me and run one for a year or two then change it up.

Dannyjoe

Loc.
Blythe, California
Nice ride

Installed 5 1/2 inch wild horses suspension lift. 30 inch tires on stock wheels. Gained 9 inches. Too tall? What do you think? If I keep this lift, I will definitely need bigger tires. Will a suspension lift start to sag?

Before
P3020965.JPG

After
P3251057.JPG

Looks good brotha!