• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tools

vexris

Question, I just relized since im starting to save for a bronco i have no tools either since i always use to work out of the shop on the ranch and they were all my father's tools.

Was wondering were you would recommend i start looking for tools. I was thinking ebay and garage sales would you guys agree i dont have alot of extra money to spend on this right now but im saving.

And could you all give me an idea of needed item not just wrench and sockets and rachet those i know but other things that ill need now or in the future for the shop

Thanks for the advice

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
It kind of depends how far you want to go. A d44 hub socket,flare nut wrenches, BFH or 2,pry bars, Jack and stands,wheel chocks, propane torch

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
i do a fair amount with ebay, yard sales and estate sales. i'm not sure how useful they really are for tools though. its so hit or miss and the time involved to outfit yourself from scratch would probably negate any real savings. i guess it would depend on your area though. but from my experience, most homeowners have minimal tools. ebay shipping would get expensive unless you bought a large item or specialized tool on occasion.

the exception to all of this would be an auction for a garage/machine shop/mechanic etc. in my area auctions are very popular and are typically published in the local bargain sheet. you can choose the ones with the most tools or the items you want and see what happens. some times stuff sells cheap, other times not.

where i've gotten the best deals consistantly over time has actually been my local sears store. they have a clearance section for used, returned, discontinued tools. its not uncommon to get items at 50%-75% off. in a big city, or a high volume store, i suspect this section would get picked over quickly. might be worth looking into though.

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
I would sugest you start combing your local pawn shops, yard and estate sales. If you keep an eye out you can get some great deals on tools. I would suggest you only buy good name brand tools (Husky, Craftsman, Snap-on, etc...). You will not regret it a bit. Make sure to inspect each peace as well for cracks or the tools being extreamly warn before use so you do not hurt yourself or your Bronco.;D Good luck and have fun.;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Just get good tools no jap crap as they can give you fits. sears is a fair tool and it is good for ever. Just remember that good tools will last you for the rest of your life. And then you can become a packrat like me and end up with 3 rollaway's full and there is still more that I would like to have good luck with yours.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
i always buy the very best of everything -including tools because you get what you pay for. HOWEVER, i have wanted a spare socket set for inside the truck and i bought a set a BJ's wholesale club. they are lifetime guaranteed and are super organized in their own plastic case. they came with everything. the only thing i have ever broken has been the 3/8 socket wrench. i had an extra craftsman laying around that popped right into the provision in the case! that would be where i would start with tools. i use that set all the time now instead of the craftsman tools i have because i always know where the piece is that i need. try BJ's or sam's club for good prices on tools. when it comes to power tools, buy the good stuff! a comprssor with air tools is a good route too! good luck!!!!

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As said, you get what you pay for. Some of the big names, husky, craftsman, and i'm sure others, offer a lifetime warranty - all you have to do is take it to a store that carries the tool and walk out with a new one. Now hopefully you won't ever have to do that, but it is good to know you can. I would suggest that any big ticket items: torque wrenches, powertools, pricey stuff; you get those at a place with a warranty.

The others will not matter as much, but expect to buy lots of screw drivers and wrenchs and such again and again. I have also been told that not all vise-grips are created equally, and to only get the "Vise-Grip" brand.

Keep in mind that those pricey tools you won't use too much, torque wrenches, seal pullers, press, you can probably rent for the weekend far cheaper than the cost to buy.

My $.02: LS

joules

Loc.
Marysville, Wa
For my precision stuff (indicators, torque wrenches ect) and things that do not wear out(wrenches, ratchets ect) I buy good quality. Craftsman, snap-on, ect.
For stuff I regularly loose, wear out or will only use a few times i will head to harbour tools and freight or homier. Stuff like screwdrivers, tubing benders ect...
This place has some stuff cheap as well.
http://www.homier.com/default.asp
J~

HorsePlay

Loc.
Middlesex, NJ
For a good basic Tool set, Sears has a craftsman set that goes for $300, every once in a while they put it up for 1/2 price, $150!!. That will get you a good base.

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
Buying a set of tools is the cheapest way to go, instead of buying individual tools. Buy a good quality set and add from there as you become more experienced and know what you like.

71bronc

Loc.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Quality tools are definitely worth the money...I have always had good luck at pawn shops and flea markets. I just bought a great Fluke multimeter for $10 bucks at the flea market from a lady who had no idea what she had.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Jeepster said:
DO NOT BUY JAP HAND TOOLS.......THEY SUCK THE BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not worth the money, what ever you pay, or dont pay for them. They are no good.

Actually the Japanese stuff is pretty good.

It's the SH*T coming in by the shipload from china that I hate. This junk isn't even worth it's weight in scrap as far as I'm concerned.

Craftsman stuff you cant go wrong used or new. You can get broken Craftsman tools replaced even on Sunday anywhere there's a Sears during regular open hours.
Orchard Supply Hardware stocks Craftsman also.

Husky brand is good too and comes from the same factory as as Craftsman. They are lifetime warranteed at Home Depot.

Snap-On is the Rolls Royce of hand tools and you pay big-time for that kind of quality. For occasional use you don't need the High End, High Performance tools.

Craftsman, Husky, and Snap-On are still made in USA if that means anything to you. I prefer to keep my money here in the US economy instead of sending it overseas if I have a choice.

Last edited:

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
Jeepster said:
DO NOT BUY JAP HAND TOOLS.......THEY SUCK THE BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not worth the money, what ever you pay, or dont pay for them. They are no good.

thats not exactly fair. some very fine woodworking and carpentry tools are japanese made. and the mechanical tools i've seen aren't too bad either. i'd take almost any jap tool over taiwan or china made.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Problem i'm know seeing is that cabinets and chests cost more than the tools i would put in them, but the tools are running amock in my garage without one...

OldieTwoShoes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
where ever you decide to buy your tools, make sure they are quality, many well built tools can last a LONG time which will save you money so basically have quality is the first thing you look at then price, oh and jeepster your garage looks like mine, my dads hobby is wood working, and due to economic conditions was laid-off and now is in the construction business (he works with a company and also contracts out work for himself) we have so many crazy things and he always needs more! but i dont mind cause i get to use them all and get new ones when he replaces or upgrades to anything WOOO

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Hey jeepster, that is a lot of tool boxes you have there. I even see a little set of torches. One question though. What do you do with that jack ? I have one like that I stick behind a tire to keep the Bronco from rolling away ;D . A good jack is a must have. :)

73explorer

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
I just started buying good tools. for years i had the $99 sears craftsman set that came in a handy case and you could carry around, but you get to the point in working on broncos (or anything) that the right tools will do the job correctly and the wrong tools will screw stuff up = $$$. i actually started buying clean snap-on and mac stuff off ebay, even though i am far from a professional mechanic. my reasoning is the same as has been stated earlier - a quality set of tools will last a lifetime and pay for themselves many times, i wish you could still purchase something in a profession and know that you could use these the rest of your career - i think about the $10,000 worth of useless laptops i have in a box that get outdated every 3 years!!! i couldnt even give them to the Animal Haven cause they were so useless.

BLU74

Loc.
Folsom, CA
I would definitely start with a Craftsman mechanics set. Wait for a sale, and jump all over it. I abuse some of my wrenches, and haven't had a single problem w/craftsman. I actually registered at Sears for my wedding, and ALL my wife's friends bought me tools there...she was pissed. I got 3 mechanics sets, an angle grinder, an 11-drawer ball-bearing cart, and all sorts of other stuff.;D